Don't Suck! Oscar Party Tips for Hosts and Guests
There aren't many people who are gushing over how amazing the Grammys were last weekend, and there haven't been many reports about amazing Grammys parties either. Our Grammys party consisted of me, my husband, and our houseguests lying around in our pajamas, cuddling with our dog, and fast forwarding through all of the commercials--and plenty of the performances. (Taylor Swift, Frank Ocean, Hunter Hayes ... and LL Cool J was the worst host of anything that's ever been hosted, ever.)
You know what people do rave about? OSCAR PARTIES. Amazing Academy Awards parties are the best, and you should throw one, or at least know how to go to one and participate in the awesomeness. One of the reasons the Academy Awards are awesome? They never, ever need to release a "no underboob/female breast nipples" edict before the show airs. Another reason the Academy Awards are awesome is that, in general, they actually nominate and award excellent films that you might want to see.
The Academy Awards air on February 24 on ABC. Whether you are a guest, or hosting a party, here are some tips on making this year's award show experience a million times better than your Grammy viewing experience.
First of all, if you are watching the Oscars and not the Grammys, you are already on your way to an improved award show experience. Congratulations!
Open World Dance Foundation presents CINDERELLA
TicketsThu., Nov. 10, 7:30pm
Jersey Boys (Touring)
TicketsTue., Nov. 15, 7:30pm
The Legend of Zelda: Symphony of the Goddesses - Master Quest
TicketsFri., Nov. 18, 8:00pm
TicketsSat., Nov. 19, 7:00pm
John Cleese & Eric Idle
TicketsTue., Nov. 29, 7:30pm
Oscar Party Tips for Hosts
It's great that you're willing to invite everyone over, do the heavy lifting of hosting, and get every last wine glass you own dirty. Here are a few tips on how to avoid being the LL Cool J of Oscar party hosts.
- Do request fancy dress at your party, don't enforce it by turning away under-dressed guests at the door. Instead, provide fun favors for all guests--bead necklaces, shiny/glitter party hats, novelty "black ties".
- Do make or order Oscar score sheets so guests can vote and compete on the night's winners. Do not engage in drinking games ("Drink every time a winner thanks their mother!"), unless you have a lot of floor space and plenty of sleeping bags.
- Do break out the bubbly, and serve a champagne cocktail to start the night off right. Do not forget to feed your guests. In addition to chips and dips for snacking, this is a great opportunity to show off some culinary skills. Check out The Smitten Kitchen (cookbook and/or blog) for some pretty amazing party food ideas.
- Do have the number to several cab companies handy, for those party guests who drink every time a winner thanks their mother in spite of your objections. Do not let anyone who you even suspect may be intoxicated operate their car.
Oscar Party Tips for Guests
You've been invited to an Oscar party! You only have a few weeks left to shop for an appropriate award show-watching outfit, and view every movie nominated in every category.
- Do dress up if the invitation calls for fancy dress. Even if you don't have anything red carpet-worthy, at least iron your shirt. Do not whine to the host about dressing up.
- Do check out one or two of the nominated movies--they are actually worth seeing. Our own Pete Vonder Haar has reviewed one or twelve. Do not complain all night about how Liam Neeson got robbed for "Best Actor" for his work in Taken 2. The only person who got robbed this year was Ben Affleck, for Argo, got it?
- Do bring something if asked--and maybe even if you haven't been asked. Do not bring: extra guests, your dog, Limberger cheese.
- Do offer to drive intoxicated guests home if you are sober.
- Do not pass out on your host's bathroom floor before the red carpet coverage is over.
Happy Oscar Viewing, everyone!
Get the Theater Newsletter
Get a rundown of upcoming theater events and ticket deals in Houston.