Five (Almost Free) Fall Reads to Download on Your Tablet
With our continued hot spell, it's pretty hard to believe that the first day of fall is three short weeks away. We're hoping that the summer heat will soon be replaced with cool nights, that the days will get shorter and that Halloween will be around the corner.
We went searching for some great, new, affordable (in some cases, free) fall reads you can get with the click of your mouse. Consider curling up with one of these books on those long, dark and cool nights.
5. So Close the Hand of Death by J.T. Ellison A serial killer known as the Pretender is terrorizing the nation with murders copycatting some of America's most notorious killers. Free Google preview and eBook edition available here. $6.20.
4. Girls in White Dresses by Jennifer Close The pressure of bridal showers and weddings imposes itself upon a close-knit trio of friends. While all of their other friends seem to have everything figured out, Isabella, Mary and Lauren lean on each other in their journey to find happiness. Free preview and purchase available here. $9.99.
3. The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach Coming-of-age story about Henry, a college baseball star, destined for the big leagues. But one mistake on the field leads to an intertwining of lives that affects everyone in Henry's life. To download for iPad click here. One-time payment for unlimited downloads required.
2. Clearwater Journals by Al Rennie A former cop and the sister of a murder victim team up to investigate the crime. But are they too close to finding answers that someone wants to keep hidden? Free download available here.
1. Black Donald by N.M. Gillson Newly relocated to Scotland, educator Michael Cameron witnesses a Satanic ritual slaying of a student. As his life spirals out of control in the aftermath, he must find a way to fight in a battle of good and evil. Free download available here.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.