Master Pancake Theater: Hearthrob Ryan Gosling Ripe for a Mocking
Ryan Gosling at Fun Fun Fun Fest this past weekend.
Photo by Marc Brubaker
Actor Ryan Gosling has been having a field day lately, fresh after starring in one of the best action movies of 2011, Drive. Since then he's become a hero to feminists and hipsters everywhere, even causing the entire city of Austin to nearly melt down in his presence at Fun Fun Fun Fest this last weekend.
The thing is, the man who has inspired half a dozen Tumblrs over the last month seems like a down-to-earth, earnest guy whose star hasn't risen high enough to make the typically fickle fame cycle turn against him yet. He's so unironic it almost feels foreign. Which is exactly why the time is ripe for good-natured ribbing directed right at him.
That's where Master Pancake Theater comes in. The Austin comedy troupe organizes live Mystery Science Theater-style mockings of otherwise unfunny movies, and this Saturday evening they'll be taking on Gosling's first big hit, the tear-jerking date movie The Notebook, at Alamo Drafthouse West Oaks.
The Master Pancake has been recognized as Austin's Best Comedy Troupe four times by the Austin Chronicle, and has previously sold out its versions of The Breakfast Club and the Twilight series. Now, Art Attack has two pairs of tickets to give away to Saturday night's late and early screening of The Notebook.
TicketsSat., Mar. 4, 8:00pm
Je'Caryous Johnson's "Married But Single Too"
TicketsFri., Mar. 10, 8:00pm
The Illusionists - Live From Broadway (Touring)
TicketsSat., Mar. 11, 4:00pm
The King and I (Touring)
TicketsTue., Mar. 14, 7:30pm
Brain Candy LIVE: Adam Savage & Michael Stevens
TicketsThu., Mar. 23, 8:00pm
But first, you'll have to prove just how much you know about Ryan Gosling.
On the next page are eight quotes from his eight most-famous films. You tell us what movie each quote originates from, and his character's name, and you'll have a shot at the tickets.
E-mail your answers to email@example.com with the subject line "Baby Goose" by noon on Friday, along with which screening you prefer -- 7 p.m. or 10 p.m. -- and we'll pick winners from those with the most correct answers.
1. Hey kid, you want a toothpick.
2. In my experience, the prettier a girl is, the more nuts she is, which makes you insane.
3. I wrote you 365 letters. I wrote you every day for a year.
4. The war between the sexes is over. We won the second women started doing pole dancing for exercise.
5. Change moves in spirals, not circles. For example, the sun goes up and then it goes down. But everytime that happens, what do you get? You get a new day. You get a new one.
6. Like a burn. Like when you go outside and your feet freeze and you come back in and then they thaw out? It's like that. It's almost exactly like that.
7. I don't think the gun grew little gun legs and walked out of the house. It's in here somewhere, find it.
8. It's not awful; it's just different. People talk to each other. And there's a ham, with pineapple on it, and little cherries on it...
Master Pancake Theater presents The Notebook starring Ryan Gosling, 7 p.m. and 10 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 12, at Alamo Drafthouse West Oaks, 1000 West Oaks Mall.
Get the Theater Newsletter
Get a rundown of upcoming theater events and ticket deals in Houston.