New York Fashion Week Fall 2014 Walk Down Memory Lane
New York Fashion Week wrapped up last week and though the rest of the world has moved on to the London, Milan and Paris shows, I'd like to take a walk down memory lane.
The fall collections usually pale in comparison to the September shows. September is much warmer, so the street-style bloggers are out and about in their weirdest "please take a picture of me" ensembles. Designers are showcasing summer-weather garments, which tend to be much more exciting than winter coats and wool sweaters. Celeb sightings are a certainty due to the award season red-carpet scramble coming up in January. But this February schedule was full of surprises, cool trends and a streaker.
Let's take that walk, shall we?...
Beware the Streaker I already mentioned this in an earlier post, but couldn't go without a second mention. Prabal Gurung's show was interrupted by a fashion fan in his birthday suit.
Star Wars at Rodarte The Mulleavy sisters of Rodarte showed gowns with Star Wars images as their finale looks. Yes!
Kendall Jenner's Debut In her NYFW debut walk, Kendall Jenner (little sister of Kim, Khloe and Kourtney) sported a sheer top with nipples on display for all to see. Thank God she's 18 years old.
Joe Jonas saw Kelly Rowland Lick a Wall Jonas penned a NYFW diary for The Cut and documented a few of his misadventures, including watching his girlfriend and Destiny's Child member Kelly Rowland lick the chocolate-covered wall at Opening Ceremony.
Thom Browne Goes To Church Designer Thom Browne hosted his fashion show in a church, or at least a gallery transformed into a sanctuary complete with pews, crucifixes and candles.
Marc Jacobs = Puffy Clouds and Pink Hair Pink-haired models and puffy white clouds were a part of the dreamy atmosphere at one of the hottest shows of NYFW.
Top 10 Fall 2014 Trends
- Geek Chic (see Star Wars above for more details)
- Statement Bags -- the bigger and bolder the better
- Goth Chic -- dark florals, chokers and lots of charcoal eyeliner
- Platform Sneakers -- the sneaker trend is still with us, but now with a little lift
- Huge Sweaters -- I mean, they look like they are attacking the model
- Plaid -- all styles and colors, but the classic red, gold and navy is always a hit
- Big Fur -- big and furry is the name of the game for statement coats
- Blanket Coats & Wraps -- instead of putting on your outerwear, wrap yourself in it
- Sportswear -- puffy jackets, track suits and the modernized hoodie
- Bold Reds and Pinks -- Fall 2014 will not be full of boring neutrals
Get the Theater and Arts Newsletter
Exclusive discounts and announcements to Houston theater shows and art events