Our 20 Favorite Rides from the 2013 Houston Art Car Parade
Honorable mention: We've always wanted to go tubing down Allen Parkway.
Photos By Abrahan Garza.
One imagines that a lot of the appeal of art cars -- aside from the fact that they're often insane looking -- is the fact that it takes art out of the gallery and into the streets. There's nothing stuffy or pretentious about it, it's simply art that anyone from age three to age 83 can understand and enjoy.
With more than 275 entries in the 2013 edition of the Houston Art Car Parade, narrowing down the list to our 20 favorite rides was not easy. We're just happy that there's a thriving art car community that allows us to have this embarrassment of riches to choose from.
20. How can you not feel a swell of patriotic pride when this comes down the road?
Flashback: The Art Car Parade: Enjoying the Ride
19. You can always count on "Heroicar" to save the day!
18. Simple, but lovely all the same.
17. So this is a thing that nightmares are made of.
16. Anyone else feel like singing "Under The Sea" right now?
15. That's a heck of a hood ornament.
14. It was certainly the cutest bird we saw all day.
13. We're not sure where the name "Nippy Thelma" comes from, but we like it.
12. We hope we don't have to explain to you why a banana car is awesome.
11. Some cars you wash, some cars you polish.
10. No joke here, we just really like the graffiti.
9. What child wouldn't want a giant wagon?
8. This car is made of 11 secret herbs, spices, and a go-kart.
7. This art car dog dreams of chasing art car squirrels.
6. They call it "Excess Baggage" because... well... ain't it obvious?
5. The colors on this one are just amazing.
4. No matter how "simple" it is, we can't help but smile every time we look at this giant toaster car.
3. It's our sci-fi dream come true.
2. Imagine how much fun you could have driving this one.
1. The only thing that would make this better is if the car was wearing a mask too.
Looking for more art car photos? Check out our slideshow!
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.