Politics Aside: Senator Wendy Davis Signing Forgetting to Be Afraid: A Memoir at Brazos Bookstore on September 13
Maybe you #StandWithWendy, maybe you don't, but on Saturday, September 13, you'll have the chance to stand in line to meet her at Brazos Bookstore. Senator Wendy Davis will be signing copies of her highly-anticipated new book, Forgetting to be Afraid: A Memoir, between 1 p.m. and 3 p.m. and the event was an anticipated sell-out before it was even announced.
"The book is coming out next week, and there is a lot of excitement about it," said Brazos manager Jeremy Ellis. "We certainly expect a huge crowd, which is why we are limiting tickets to one per person." Ellis anticipates about a thousand tickets will be sold for the two-hour event, and is urging patrons to order tickets early to ensure a spot in line. Tickets are $27.95, and include a copy of the senator's memoir; a second copy of the book may be reserved and purchased, but tickets are strictly limited to one per person.
Davis' life story has been fodder for the media from the very beginning. The senator made a big splash during her filibuster, and then backed it up with a moving life story that includes single motherhood and divorce, law school and then politics. The details and timeline of her life story have been questioned many times over in the last year, but the memoir gives Davis the opportunity to deliver her story in a single smooth, fine-tuned format. The opportunity for readers is in the chance to consume the story the same way, rather than through combative editorials and 140-word Tweets.
While the book may be a political calculation, the event is not. "This is a book signing, not a political event!" stressed Ellis. "We expect a huge turnout, and we don't expect the crowd to be comprised of only Wendy Davis fans. Anyone who finds her interesting, or that is invested in the political process, will want to attend."
TicketsSat., Mar. 4, 8:00pm
Je'Caryous Johnson's "Married But Single Too"
TicketsFri., Mar. 10, 8:00pm
The Illusionists - Live From Broadway (Touring)
TicketsSat., Mar. 11, 4:00pm
The King and I (Touring)
TicketsTue., Mar. 14, 7:30pm
Brain Candy LIVE: Adam Savage & Michael Stevens
TicketsThu., Mar. 23, 8:00pm
A few things to note about the Saturday afternoon event:
• Senator Davis will only be signing books--there will be no presentation, reading, or rally--and only those books purchased at Brazos Bookstore.
• Customers may begin lining up at 11:30 a.m.
• Parking at Brazos Bookstore is limited--observe street signs, and avail yourself of street parking along Kelvin and Morningside, and consider carpooling.
• The senator will only sign for two hours, and will leave promptly at 3 p.m., and there will be no personalized signing.
• Tickets and book reservations can be managed online, in-store, or by phone--see Brazos Bookstore's events calendar for more details and instructions.
Get the Theater Newsletter
Get a rundown of upcoming theater events and ticket deals in Houston.