Terry McMillan at Brazos Bookstore, Valerie Plame at MBTB, and Academy Award Winner Octavia Spencer at Blue Willow Bookstore
October got a jump on us, but there are plenty of great author events to be had for the rest of October here in Houston. Our favorite group of indie bookstores--Brazos Bookstore, Murder By The Book, and Blue Willow--all boast major author events. Hurry! Cancel all your plans and attend these awesome events instead! Christmas is just around the corner, so buy signed copies of your favorite author's books for your friends and then pat yourself on the back for getting the jump on holiday shopping.
The big story this week at Brazos Bookstore is the Wednesday, October 9 appearance by Terry McMillan (Waiting to Exhale, How Stella Got Her Groove Back). McMillan is signing copies of her latest work, Who Asked You?, at the Ensemble Theatre. This is a ticketed event, so act fast! The author will speak at 7 p.m. and Brazos is asking ticket holders to arrive no later than 6:45 p.m. to guarantee seating. Your ticket must be presented for entry, and you can purchase tickets online, or at the bookstore.
The staff at Brazos had a few other stellar picks for the month of October, including:
• James McBride (with his 5-piece band!) on Saturday, October 25 at 7 p.m., performing songs inspired by his new novel The Good Lord Bird. • Bob Shacochis is back with a new novel (his last was 20 years ago!) and will be signing copies of The Woman Who Lost Her Soul on Monday, October 28. • UH Professor David Mikics is presenting his new book, Slow Reading in a Hurried Age with colleague Rob Zaretsky (A Life Worth Living on Tuesday, October 29.
Murder By The Book
Famed CIA operative Valerie Plame is one of the biggest names on the MBTB schedule this month. Plame will be signing her first spy thriller, Blowback (with co-author Sarah Lovett) on Wednesday, October 23. If you're looking for an event with a little more flair, Chuck Palahniuk is coming to Houston on Wednesday, October 9. Joined by Chelsea Cain and Monica Drake, Palahniuk will be putting on a terrific stage show--Adult Bedtime Stories--at the Firehouse Saloon (this is a ticketed event!). The MBTB staff is also looking forward to Texas Renaissance Festival regular Christopher Buehlman (you may know him as Christophe the Insultor) on Tuesday, October 15; he will be signing copies of The Necromancer's House.
Blue Willow Bookshop
Blue Willow Bookshop always has great events for kids, and in October they have some exciting events for adults as well. Grown-ups and kids alike will want to mark their calendars for Tuesday, October 22, to meet Academy Award-winning actress Octavia Spencer (The Help) and have her autograph your copy of her new YA novel, Randi Rhodes, Ninja Detective.
Other terrific events at Blue Willow in October include:
• Local photographer Farrah Braniff will be holding a photography class on Thursday, October 10. • Texas author Paulette Jiles will be signing her new book Lighthouse Island on Wednesday, October 16 and author Hannah Luce will discuss and sign her new offering Fields of Grace on Tuesday, October 29. • Blue Willow welcomes another Academy Award winner on Monday, October 21 when author William Joyce will discuss and sign his new book, The Mischievians.
Get the Theater Newsletter
Get a rundown of upcoming theater events and ticket deals in Houston.
More Arts News
- The Elf in Tights is Back; Todd Waite Returns as Crumpet at the Alley
Tue., Dec. 8, 7:30pm
Sat., Dec. 19, 3:00pm
Sat., Dec. 19, 7:00pm
Sun., Dec. 27, 2:00pm
- What Would Francis Think? The Peanuts Gang Celebrates 50 Years of That ‘Big Eastern...
- Shawn Artis: Putting Together Some Via Colori Artwork [VIDEO]