The 10 Best Pet Cemeteries and Crematoriums in Houston
Don't worry, none of them offer demonic resurrection services
George Carlin once said that buying a pet essentially meant you were purchasing a small tragedy. The fact is that in most cases we out live our beloved animal companions, and for some people the bond is strong enough to want a proper ceremony or burial to honor them. Luckily in a city the size of Houston that desire can be accommodated. Here are the ten best places to guide your furry babies over the rainbow bridge.
10. Houston Pet Cremation Services 7019 Breen Drive This is as quick and no-nonsense as you could want. HPCS is affordable, fast and easy for customers and probably the best choice for someone trying to arrange the death of a pet while out of town or otherwise unavailable. That's not to say that they lack sentimentality. Be sure to check out their very nice selection of cremain necklaces and amulets, which seem like the perfect gift for a heartbroken child who just lost his or her puppy.
9. Devoted Pets 7012 Belgold A basic set-up that will handle most pick-ups for cremations as well as sell you a marker or a nice urn to hold your lost friend. If you've never dealt with the pet funeral industry before Devoted Pets is nice for easing you into it in a small way.
8. Little Friends 8627 Windswept Lane Located south of Richmond between Dunvale and Fondren Little Friends is a solid pet afterlife service. They do mostly cremations, with the option to have the ashes deposited at the memorial wall in Wallis for mourners to visit later. They also sell caskets and markers if you'd like to bury at home in style. It's basic though still sincere and comforting.
7. Forever Pals With eight locations all over Houston Forever Pals is extremely convenient, allowing you to get the same service wherever you may wander in your time in the city. That one-size-fits-all approach limits your choices, but there is one really sweet product they offer that gives a pet a nice sendoff without having to haul an urn around for the rest of your life. Check out the Journey Earthurn, a biodegradable cremain container that can easily be used to have a pet's body fertilizer a wildflower patch. What could be a better tribute?
Something Rotten! (Touring)
TicketsFri., Jun. 9, 8:00pm
Something Rotten! (Touring)
TicketsSat., Jun. 10, 2:00pm
Something Rotten! (Touring)
TicketsSat., Jun. 10, 8:00pm
"The Fine Tex Mex Tour Starring William Lee Martin & Alex Reymundo"
TicketsFri., Jun. 16, 8:00pm
Disney Presents The Lion King (Touring)
TicketsTue., Jun. 27, 7:30pm
6. Paws Memorial 601 Pitts Road Paw Memorial is a crematorium with a focus on helping pet owners through their emotional pain of losing a pet. They offer the standard cremations services, but larger memorial services as well. Even better, you can schedule a private euthanasia either in comfort rooms or out on the 20-acre property. If nothing else their website has a wonderful section dedicated to articles, books and online resources for grief counseling. If you need extra special help Paws will be there.
5. Angel Oaks 21755 I-45 Building 11 Suite A Living up to their name Angel Oaks will swoop down and take care of your beloved pet for you. They only offer cremations, but their attitude about it is just wonderful. They maintain a 24-hour pick up services that also includes roadside collection to spare you the horror of having to bundle up a tragic accident. In addition they will exhume and cremate previously buried pets if you happen to be moving and want to take your pet with you. Rescue, guide, and K-9 animals receive special discounts, and you can have a small service while witnessing the cremation for an additional fee.
4. Treasured Paws 33506 Haley Road Treasured Paws in Waller specializes in a couple of unique areas that makes them attractive to more niche pet owners. They handle a number of exotic species if you want to honor a pet that's not a dog or a cat. They also use the same electronic tracking system human cremations use to ensure that you're getting your beloved friend. Most cool, they have probably the best selection of urns with many unusual styles. If they don't have what you're looking for, they will do their best to find it. Of all the crematoriums Treasured Paws is the best equipped to make, lasting home for a pet's remains to keep with you. Like Paws Memorial they have a nice database of grief counseling links on their site.
3. Hale's Half Acre 11614 Dumas Street For more than 50 years this site has hosted pet burials in Houston, and it shows. Where other cemeteries are relatively young and cohesive, Hale's Half Acre is just full of its own unique charm having been colored by the grief and expression of two generations of mourners paying tribute to their favorite companions. Pet owners wanting their pet's final rest to be as personal and one-of-a-kind as possible? This is who you call.
Photo from Google Street View
2. A Bit of Heaven 8726 Congo Lane If you want a really full-scale pet cemetery experience A Bit of Heaven can provide for almost any need. They do everything from full services with grave stones and yearly maintenance to simple cremations with urns. Pretty much everything you could do for a human you can do for a pet at A Bit of Heaven, and for pet lovers on a budget you can opt to have your friend's name inscribed on their memorial wall for less than $50, $75 if you wish to include a picture.
1. Fond Memories 1102 South Seventh Street The only downside to Fond Memories is its location all the way out in Conroe. If that doesn't deter you then it's very close to perfect. They have a nine-acre cemetery for private plots as well as a memorial wall, full cremation services and euthanasia help. It's sort of a silly thing, but they also have an active Facebook page where mourners are encouraged to share their experiences with their lost pets, advise others on grief and loss and just in general share what it means to love an animal so much. I must have spent fifteen minutes on it just clicking through stories. They definitely build a sense of community.
Get the Theater Newsletter
Get a rundown of upcoming theater events and ticket deals in Houston.