In the most bizarre of bizzares, last week it was announced that a new J Lo/Kohl's commercial was being released. The commercial is promoting Lopez's Kohl's clothing line, and it features the singer/actress/entrepreneur/American Idol judge/mother of twins dancing around in her bright and lively Kohl's clothing. Of course, she is also singing.
Not at all surprising is that the commercial is terrible, but that's not what is unusual about it at all. What caught us off guard is that Academy Award-nominated Black Swan director Darren Aronofsky directed the spot. Aronofsky is no stranger to the small screen; last year he put out a series of anti-meth PSAs that were disturbingly brilliant. Creepy PSAs seem more like the director's M.O, but a Jenny from the Block ad? Does he really need the money that bad?
Aronofsky is certainly not the first big-name director to wade into television commercials' waters, but this spot might be one of the first to have none of the qualities of the auteur that created it.
To redeem film directors who have made commercials everywhere, here are the top ten commercials directed by actual (awesome) directors in film.
10. Ruben Fleischer: Zombieland, 30 Seconds Or Less
9. Martin Scorsese: Goodfellas, The Departed, Shutter Island, Hugo
8. David O. Russell: Three Kings, I ♥ Huckabees, The Fighter
7. Guy Ritchie: Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels, Snatch, Sherlock Holmes6. Spike Jonze: Being John Malkovich, Adaptation, Where the Wild Things Are
5. David Lynch: Twin Peaks, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway
4. Michel Gondry: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Science of Sleep, The Green Hornet
3. Terry Gilliam: Brazil, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, 12 Monkeys
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
2. Wes Anderson: Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums, Fantastic Mr. Fox
1. Ridley Scott: Alien, Thelma & Louise, Blade Runner