Top Five Houston Halloween Parties: 2012 Edition
Houston's going to be busy this Halloween season and with so much to choose from, we thought we'd give you a hand in picking which events to attend. Here, in our actually not too humble opinion, are the top five Halloween parties:
5. The Washington Avenue Block Party: The Washington Avenue strip is going to be jumping on Halloween, and the best of the parties there will be The Washington Avenue Block Party. DJ Effects, Molly Ringwalds Band, Strawberry Jam and Guts to Glory will all be onstage. There'll be a costume contest with $2,000 in prizes.
October 31. Roosevelt Lounge, 5219 Washington. For information, visit the bar's website or call 832-439-9353
4. The Haunting at Lumen: A Nightmare on Kirby: Lumen is the only club with an attached full haunted house; throw in a $1,500 costume contest and it's a must-see. Tickets range from $15 for general access to $760 for the Haunted VIP Bottle package for six with access to a private bar, champagne, mixers, two bottles of liquor and waitstaff gratuity.
October 27. Lumen Lounge, 5020 Kirby Drive. For information, visit the event's website. $15 to $760.
3. Nawty Hotties and Hunks of Horror Halloween Ball: Lots of scary -- and sexy -- fun at this Halloween party. Live entertainment, DJs, comedy, female impersonators, trivia and costume contests. Cash and prizes for Sexiest Female/Male and Couple, Most Original Costume (Couple and Single).
8 p.m. October 26. The Gardens Houston, 12001 Beamer Rd. For information and discount tickets, visit the event website or call 832-304-1848. $25
2. The 16th Annual Pimp & Prostitute Ball: Expect multiple DJs, $3,000 in cash and prizes for costume contest, beer specials, and with our VOICE Daily Deal, get your VIP pass for just $20 -- 50% off the regular price! The VIP pass includes no line/no wait admission, access to VIP-only areas (with a private bar, service staff and restrooms), and select beverages.
October 27. Lucky's Pub, 801 St. Emanuel. For information, visit the bar's website. $10 to $40
1. Full disclosure: The Montrose Crawl , back for its sixth year, is sponsored by the Houston Press. (Okay, so maybe this is a little bit of shameless self-promotion, but honestly, you didn't expect us not to throw the best Halloween party, did you?) The Crawl is a traditional pub crawl infused with the spirit of trick-or-treating as several hundred people dress in costume and visit bars and pubs on Westheimer in Montrose. This year's event will encompass 11 separate venues, including Brasil, Poison Girl, Boondocks, Anvil, Etro Lounge, Catbirds, Royal Oak, Slick Willie's, El Real Tex-Mex, Mo Mong and The Hay Merchant. Costumed participants will enjoy drink specials and Halloween activities at the bars, with no cover, and the Montrose Crawl will award prizes for best costumes throughout the evening. This year's honorary Grand Crawler, Chef Bryan Caswell, will select the grand-prize winner.
6 p.m. October 27. All Montrose Crawl participants are asked to dress in costume and to assemble at Brasil and Poison Girl. For information, visit the event's website.
Abby Downing-Beaver contributed to this post.
Get the Theater and Arts Newsletter
Exclusive discounts and announcements to Houston theater shows and art events