John Royal’s NFL Picks, Week 12: Forget the Drumstick, Let’s Wing It
A confession: because of the games on Thursday, I’m writing this late on Tuesday night – damn deadlines. So I’m winging it with my NFL picks. I just got home from Amsterdam, so it’s a bit much to expect me to put actual thought into this whole thing.
Besides, I was 9-7 last week. I think things are finally going my way.
1. The Cowboys are favored by 14 points over the Jets. Did I imagine the Jets beating the Steelers last weekend? I didn’t think so. So how can the Cowboys be such big favorites? I don’t think the Jets win, but I don’t think the Cowboys run away with this thing. So take the Jets.
2. The Packers are 3.5 point favorites over the Lions. The Lions always seem to play good on Thanksgiving, even when they stink. And while I think the team’s overrated this season, I think the Lions will make this a very good game. Take the Lions.
U Of H Men's Basketball Chart
TicketsSat., Dec. 10, 12:30pm
Beaumont Civic Ballet 2016-2017 Season Present "The Nutcracker"
TicketsSat., Dec. 10, 2:30pm
Rice Owls Mens Basketball vs. Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks Basketball
TicketsSat., Dec. 10, 7:00pm
TicketsTue., Dec. 13, 8:00pm
3. The Colts are supposed to beat the Falcons by 11.5 points. Is Dwight Freeney back? I didn’t think so. Is Marvin Harrison healthy? I didn’t think so. Now Tony Dungy might hate gay people, but he’s no prick like Bill Belichick, so even if he could, I don’t see the Colts rubbing it in the Falcons faces. Take Atlanta to get within 10 points. And watch a good game instead. USC/Arizona State should be on over at one of the ESPN networks.
4. The Browns are 3.5 point favorites over the Texans. Did you see the end of that Browns/Ravens game? That Phil Dawson field goal that bounced about the uprights and was declared no good, then good? That’s destiny. I don’t think the Texans have that destiny. Take the Browns.
5. The Cards at 10.5 point favorites over the Niners. Wow, who could see the Cards ever being favored by double digits? But the Niners suck. Take the Cards.
6. The Bears are 2.5 point favorites over the Broncos. I know this game is in Chicago. But I don’t think that matters. For once I have to go with my Broncos-loving brother. Take the Broncos.
7. The Titans are 1 point favorites over the Bengals. Man, the Bengals suck this season. Take the Titans.
8. The Jaguars are 7.5 point favorites over the Bills. The Jags just have this wicked running game. And no one’s really able to stop it. I just can’t see the Bills stopping it. Take the Jags.
9. The Chiefs are favored by 5.5 points over the Raiders. The Chiefs are without Larry Johnson. And the NFL Network is reporting that Priest Holmes is retiring. It just shows how bad the Raiders are that I’m taking the Chiefs.
10. The Patriots are 22 point favorites over the Eagles. No f**cking way do the Patriots win this game by 22 points. Just no f**cking way. Look for the Eagles to keep it within three touchdowns.
11. The Saints are 3 point favorites over the Panthers. The Saints don’t deserve to win after losing to the Texans. But they win this anyway. They win this big. Take the Saints.
12. The Giants are favored by 7 points over the Vikings. I just don’t know what to say about this game expect that I don’t care about this game. Take the Giants.
13. The Chargers are 9.5 point favorites over the Ravens. I don’t even think the Chargers are going to win this game, much less win it by 9.5 points. Take the Ravens.
14. The Seahawks are picked by 3 points over the Rams. I’ve got faith in the Rams now that people are getting healthy. Take the Rams.
15. The Bucs are favored by 3 points over the Redskins. See Giants/Vikings. I just don’t care. Take the Bucs.
16. The Steelers are 16 point favorites over the Dolphins. The Dolphins pull off the upset and keep this game to within a TD before losing. Take the Dolphins. – John Royal
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.