Yeah, I know,I sucked last week
, and I now stand at 35-54 on picking against the spread this season. It’s a good thing I’m not picking the scores,like Jason
. There’s no telling how bad I’d look then.
But I’m nothing if not stubborn, so, based on the point spread from the New York office as of Wednesday afternoon...
1. The Titans are favored by 1.5 points over the Texans. I don’t know how to pick this game. The Texans have stunk it up the past month – they even stunk during the win against Miami – and you just know that Vince Young will just run Mario Williams ragged. But that’s the thing. Vince Young isn’t healthy, and he might not play. And Young’s back-up is Kerry Collins. Still, the Texans made Joey Harrington look like the second coming of Joe Montana. And Jeff Fisher just seems to have so much more going on in the coaching department. So, I’m picking the Titans.
2. The Cowboys are picked to win by 9.5 points over the Vikings. The Cowboys should win this game. And the Vikings have an unsettled offensive situation at QB. But the Vikings also have Adrian Peterson who is quickly running away with the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year Award. He had a great game against the Bears last week. And there’s the question about whether Dallas has recovered from the Patriot-experience. I’m taking the Vikings to get within the point spread.
3. The Ravens travel to Buffalo where they are favored by 3 points over the Bills. I just can’t make myself care about this game. This is one of those yawn games. I’m taking the Ravens.
4. The Bengals, hosting the Jets, are favored by 6 points. Man, what’s happened to the Bengals. I know I thought they were going to be good. There’s no reason that the offense is performing, not when you have Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson. But at least the Bengals aren’t the Jets. I think even Mike Greenberg has turned on Chad Pennington. Take the Bengals.
5. The Lions are favored by 2.5 points over the Bucs. I don’t know about this. I think God’s been busy with the Rockies lately, and hasn’t had time to deal with the Lions. But the Rockies are off until next week. However, I’m taking the Bucs.
6. The Patriots are favored by 16.5 points over the Dolphins. Is there a chance the Patriots could have a bit of a let down after last week and the Cowboys? Yeah, I’m sure this is. But this is the Dolphins. And they stink. I don’t like taking big point spreads like this, but this time I’m doing it. Take the Patriots.
7. The Saints are favored by 9 points over the Falcons. Are the Saints back? It doesn’t really matter since this is the Falcons. Take the Saints.
8. The Giants are 9.5 point favorites over the 49ers. I don’t have much to say here. Well, not much besides take the 49ers to get within the point spread.
9. Oakland’s favored by 2.5 points over Kansas City. The Chiefs have been showing some signs of life, lately. But Oakland gets up for games against its old AFL rivals. Take the Raiders.
10. Philadelphia is favored by 5 points over Chicago. Bears fan, I don’t think the problem was Rex Grossman. I don’t like the Eagles that much, but I like the Eagles more than I like the Bears. Take the Eagles.
11. The Steelers are favored by 3.5 points over the Broncos. Really, that’s it? Only 3.5 points. Have people been watching the Broncos this season? Take the Steelers.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
12. The Rams are 9 point underdogs to the Seahawks. The Rams have yet to win this season, and the Seahawks did find a way to lose to the Saints last week, so maybe this is the game the Rams have been waiting for….I don’t think so. Take the Seahawks.
13. The Redskins are 8.5 point favorites over the Cardinals. The Redskins score early, but can’t put away teams. The Cardinals are down to their third QB. I don’t think the Cards will win, but I’m taking the Cards to get the score within the point spread.
14. The Colts are favored by 3 points over the Jags. This is certainly better than last Monday night’s game. The Jags are going to discover that the Colts have a legit NFL coach. And a legit NFL QB. And a legit NFL running game. And a legit NFL defense. Take the Colts.
-- John Royal