So, Jason thinks that we ought to make weekly predictions on how each week’s NFL games are going to go. I’m game.
I’ll be using the point spreads that come down to me from my New York office and are used for the office football pool. This is usually the point spread as of Wednesday morning.
Since the action starts tonight in Indy, I’ll start with that game. And wouldn’t you know that it would start with the two teams that I picked to meet in the Super Bowl? Well, one of them has to lose. So…
1. The Colts are favored by 5.5 points. But I’m taking the Saints.
2. The Texans are actually favored by 3 over the Chiefs. Don’t the Chiefs still have Larry Johnson? And aren’t the Texans still playing Mario Williams? I’m taking the Chiefs.
3. The Cowboys are favored by 6 over the visiting Giants. I hate doing this, but I’m taking the Cowboys.
4. The Patriots are favored by 6.5 over the home team Jets. The Jets always play the Pats tough. I’m taking the Jets. They’ll probably still lose, but they’ll beat the point spread.
5. The Broncos are favored by 3 over the home team Bills. The Bills are one of my surprise teams, and they’re not only going to beat the spread, they’re going to win this game.
6. The Steelers are favored by 4.5 over the Browns. The Browns organization makes the Texans look competent. I’m taking the Steelers.
7. The home team Jaguars are favored by 6.5 over the visiting Titans. The Jags have the better running game. The Titans have the better QB and the better coach. I’m taking the Titans to beat the spread.
8. For some reason, the home team Rams are only favored by 1 point over the Panthers. I like the Rams. The Rams will win by a lot more than 1 point.
9. The Eagles are favored by 3 over the Packers. I think 3 is the number of interceptions that Favre will throw, so I’m taking the Eagles.
10. The Vikings are favored by 3 over the Falcons. Joey Harrington is starting for the Falcons. So I’m taking the Vikings.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.