The John Royal College Football Top 25, Week Five
Week Five of the college football season was full of upsets. That means the Top 25 rankings get shaken up a bit. If you want to see the rankings from the majors, clickhere
. But I think you’re really here to see my rankings. So, let’s get to it.
1. Oklahoma Sooners (2) (4-0): Beat up on TCU 35-10 while QB Sam Bradford started his try for the Heisman. If the Sooners get past Baylor this weekend, then the Red River Shootout should be an interesting game.
2. Alabama Crimson Tide (7) (5-0): Georgia was supposed to be the best team in the country. The Tide was up on Georgia 31-0 at the half, and won that game 41-30. Should have an easy game with Kentucky this weekend.
3. Missouri Tigers (3) (4-0): The Tigers took last weekend off, and they’ve got Nebraska this weekend.
4. LSU Tigers (4) (4-0): Struggled with Mississippi State last week and they’re taking this weekend off.
5. Texas Longhorns (10) (4-0): Is Texas going to play a real team anytime soon? Arkansas sure didn’t give the Horns much of a contest, but maybe Colorado will be a better opponent. There’s always Oklahoma just around the corner.
6. Brigham Young Cougars (11) (4-0): Stomped Wyoming last week. They’re roaring into the BCS Bowl discussion.
7. Texas Tech Red Raiders (9) (4-0): The Raiders took last weekend off. They should be plenty rested for the start of Big 12 conference play.
8. Utah Utes (9) (5-0): My surprise BCS Bowl team is hanging around the top of the rankings. They’ve got giant killer Oregon State this weekend.
9. Vanderbilt Commodores (15) (4-0): Had the bye last week. That should have given them plenty of time to plan for this week’s opponent, Auburn. Vandy is a pleasant surprise. Let’s hope they last for awhile.
10. Southern Florida Bulls (16) (5-0): Easily handled North Carolina State last week and they should easily handle Pittsburgh this week.
11. Penn State Nittany Lions (18) (5-0): Finally beat a real team last week. And they’re in Big 10 conference play now, so they should be able to coast for a bit.
12. Oklahoma State Cowboys (19) (4-0): They’ve got the Aggies this week. Let’s hope they don’t get too overconfident.
13. Boise State Broncos (13) (4-0): Had a relatively easy time of it with Louisiana Tech last night.
14. Southern California Trojans (1) (3-1): The Trojans do this every year. They dominate opponents, then have that game or two wear they just don’t show up. Well, last week with Oregon State was that game where they didn’t show up. And once again, it probably cost them a shot at the title.
15. Georgia Bulldogs (5) (4-1): I was never sold on Georgia. So losing to Alabama didn’t surprise me. What surprised me was just how damn bad they looked while losing.
16. Oregon Ducks (23) (4-1): Slaughtered Washington State last week. But probably won’t be in the hunt for the title.
17. Wisconsin Badgers (14) (3-1): Had the 19-0 halftime lead over Michigan, then lost 27-25. But they should be able to handle Ohio State this weekend.
18. Texas Christian Horn Frogs (12) (4-1): The Frogs were punished nationally for losing to one of the best teams in the country. But I don’t play that way. The Frogs stay in my rankings.
19. Florida Gators (6) (3-1): I think Tim Tebow can forget about the Heisman this year. Mississippi played a good game last week, but Florida should have won.
20. Auburn Tigers (20) (3-1): I’m beginning to think Auburn’s just not that good. They barely beat Tennessee, and Tennessee isn’t that good this season.
21. Kansas Jayhawks (21) (3-1): They had the bye last week, so I’m not going to change their ranking. But I will change it if they lose to Iowa State this week.
22. Air Force Falcons (24) (3-1): They had the bye last week, and they’re at Navy this week. Navy surprised Wake Forest last week. They won’t surprise Air Force.
23. Ohio State Buckeyes (25) (4-1): Easily handled Minnesota last week. I think they struggle in Wisconsin this week.
24. Virginia Tech Hokies (NR) (4-1): Have recovered nicely from their first week lost to East Carolina.
25. Connecticut Huskies (NR) (5-0): Welcome to the top 25. But I’m not sure how they long they will be hanging around.
SAY GOODBYE TO: East Carolina, who was upset by the Houston Cougars, and Wake Forest, who was upset by Navy.
-- John Royal
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.