The John Royal College Football Top 25, Week Four
It’s time for Week Four of my College Football Top 25 Rankings. You can find last week’shere
, and you can find the major rankingshere
. So, let’s get on with it.
1. USC (1) (3-0): The Trojans had the bye last week, and tonight they’ll be thrusting deep into some Beavers. They’re playing the Oregon State Beavers, get it?
Gridiron Glory: The Best of Pro Football HOF -- 10AM-3PM
TicketsSat., Mar. 25, 10:00am
Gridiron Glory: The Best of Pro Football HOF -- 3PM-8PM
TicketsSat., Mar. 25, 3:00pm
Impractical Jokers "Santiago Sent Us" Tour Starring The Tenderloins
TicketsSat., Mar. 25, 5:00pm
TicketsSat., Mar. 25, 9:00pm
2. Oklahoma Sooners (2) (3-0): The Sooners had a bye week last week, but they take on the ranked TCU Horned Frogs on Saturday. The Frogs are one of only four teams to defeat a Bob Stoops-coached team in September.
3. Missouri Tigers (3) (4-0): The Tigers dismantled Buffalo last week, and they’re taking this week off.
4. LSU Tigers (4) (3-0): In the battle of the Tigers, LSU beat Auburn for the second straight year. They get a bit of a breather as they’re playing Mississippi State this week.
5. Georgia Bulldogs (6) (4-0): Easily handled Arizona State, a major conference school last week, so I’m giving them the reward of moving them up a few spots.
6. Florida Gators (5) (3-0): What can I say? Florida demolished Tennessee easily last week, but Georgia’s win was more impressive. I hope that Erin doesn’t get mad at me.
7. Alabama Crimson Tide (8) (4-0): Beat Arkansas 49-14 in a game that wasn’t as close as the score indicates. I don’t like Nick Saban, but he’s got this team playing good football.
8. Utah Utes (7) (4-0): The Utes won a tough contest over Air Force last week. This week they get to relax a bit while playing Weber State.
9. Texas Tech Red Raiders (6) (4-0): A lopsided win over substandard competition. That calls for a drop in the polls.
10. Texas Longhorns (10) (3-0): Easily handled Rice. This week they get a shot at Arkansas. The Horns should win easily.
11. Brigham Young Cougars (12) (4-0): The Cougars are climbing up the rankings. It appears they will score easily, and often, this season, on just about anybody.
12. Texas Christian Horned Frogs (15) (4-0): Tore apart SMU last week, but have a little bit more competition in Oklahoma this week. If the Frogs win this, look for them to hop into the Top Ten.
13. Boise State Broncos (18) (3-0): Oregon Ducks still trying to figure out what hit them last week.
14. Wisconsin Badgers (23) (3-0): Had the bye last week, but should easily handle Michigan this week.
15. Vanderbilt Commodores (20) (4-0): Steadily working their way through the lower rated teams of the SEC. They’ve got this week off.
16. Southern Florida Bulls (11) (4-0): I’m penalizing them for their rather unimpressive 17-9 victory over Florida International.
17. Wake Forest (17) (3-0): An unimpressive 12-3 win over Florida State.
18. Penn State Nittany Lions (21) (4-0): They’re playing Illinois this week. It’s about time they played a team from a powerhouse conference.
19. Oklahoma State Cowboys (NR) (3-0): They had the bye week, and play Troy this week. They’re here because I needed a school.
20. Auburn Tigers (14) (3-1): I keep the undefeated teams ranked higher than those with defeats. So sue me. Auburn’s offense has not been impressive this year. But maybe they can score on Tennessee – everyone else has.
21. Kansas Jayhawks (16) (3-1): Struggled against Sam Houston State last week. If you’re going to play the creampuffs, you better beat them up.
22. East Carolina Pirates (13) (3-1): Upset by North Carolina State last week. They’re offense didn’t look that good, but they play Houston, and the Cougar defense has been pretty bad.
23. Oregon Ducks (19) (3-1): Lost to Boise State last week. They may be the second best team in the PAC-10, but that doesn’t say very much.
24. Air Force Falcons (NR) (3-1): This team impresses me. For the moment.
25. Ohio State Buckeyes (25) (3-1): I just don’t like this team. Should easily handle Minnesota this week.
Falling out of the rankings are Florida State, who lost 12-3 to Wake Forest, and West Virginia, who lost 14-14 in overtime to Colorado last week.
– John Royal
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.