The John Royal College Football Top 25, Week Four
It’s time for Week Four of my College Football Top 25 Rankings. You can find last week’shere
, and you can find the major rankingshere
. So, let’s get on with it.
1. USC (1) (3-0): The Trojans had the bye last week, and tonight they’ll be thrusting deep into some Beavers. They’re playing the Oregon State Beavers, get it?
2. Oklahoma Sooners (2) (3-0): The Sooners had a bye week last week, but they take on the ranked TCU Horned Frogs on Saturday. The Frogs are one of only four teams to defeat a Bob Stoops-coached team in September.
3. Missouri Tigers (3) (4-0): The Tigers dismantled Buffalo last week, and they’re taking this week off.
4. LSU Tigers (4) (3-0): In the battle of the Tigers, LSU beat Auburn for the second straight year. They get a bit of a breather as they’re playing Mississippi State this week.
5. Georgia Bulldogs (6) (4-0): Easily handled Arizona State, a major conference school last week, so I’m giving them the reward of moving them up a few spots.
6. Florida Gators (5) (3-0): What can I say? Florida demolished Tennessee easily last week, but Georgia’s win was more impressive. I hope that Erin doesn’t get mad at me.
7. Alabama Crimson Tide (8) (4-0): Beat Arkansas 49-14 in a game that wasn’t as close as the score indicates. I don’t like Nick Saban, but he’s got this team playing good football.
8. Utah Utes (7) (4-0): The Utes won a tough contest over Air Force last week. This week they get to relax a bit while playing Weber State.
9. Texas Tech Red Raiders (6) (4-0): A lopsided win over substandard competition. That calls for a drop in the polls.
10. Texas Longhorns (10) (3-0): Easily handled Rice. This week they get a shot at Arkansas. The Horns should win easily.
11. Brigham Young Cougars (12) (4-0): The Cougars are climbing up the rankings. It appears they will score easily, and often, this season, on just about anybody.
12. Texas Christian Horned Frogs (15) (4-0): Tore apart SMU last week, but have a little bit more competition in Oklahoma this week. If the Frogs win this, look for them to hop into the Top Ten.
13. Boise State Broncos (18) (3-0): Oregon Ducks still trying to figure out what hit them last week.
14. Wisconsin Badgers (23) (3-0): Had the bye last week, but should easily handle Michigan this week.
15. Vanderbilt Commodores (20) (4-0): Steadily working their way through the lower rated teams of the SEC. They’ve got this week off.
16. Southern Florida Bulls (11) (4-0): I’m penalizing them for their rather unimpressive 17-9 victory over Florida International.
17. Wake Forest (17) (3-0): An unimpressive 12-3 win over Florida State.
18. Penn State Nittany Lions (21) (4-0): They’re playing Illinois this week. It’s about time they played a team from a powerhouse conference.
19. Oklahoma State Cowboys (NR) (3-0): They had the bye week, and play Troy this week. They’re here because I needed a school.
20. Auburn Tigers (14) (3-1): I keep the undefeated teams ranked higher than those with defeats. So sue me. Auburn’s offense has not been impressive this year. But maybe they can score on Tennessee – everyone else has.
21. Kansas Jayhawks (16) (3-1): Struggled against Sam Houston State last week. If you’re going to play the creampuffs, you better beat them up.
22. East Carolina Pirates (13) (3-1): Upset by North Carolina State last week. They’re offense didn’t look that good, but they play Houston, and the Cougar defense has been pretty bad.
23. Oregon Ducks (19) (3-1): Lost to Boise State last week. They may be the second best team in the PAC-10, but that doesn’t say very much.
24. Air Force Falcons (NR) (3-1): This team impresses me. For the moment.
25. Ohio State Buckeyes (25) (3-1): I just don’t like this team. Should easily handle Minnesota this week.
Falling out of the rankings are Florida State, who lost 12-3 to Wake Forest, and West Virginia, who lost 14-14 in overtime to Colorado last week.
– John Royal
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss Houston Press' biggest stories.