1. USC Trojans (1-0): The Trojans had the week off, but they were so dominating in their week one victory over Virginia that I’m keeping them in this spot. They play this week against Ohio State, so hopefully the Trojans will put Ohio State out of our misery for the rest of this season.
2. Oklahoma Sooners (2-0): Did whatever they wanted, when they wanted, to the Cincinnati Bearcats in Saturday’s 52-26 victory. How much longer until they put the Longhorns out of our misery for this season?
3. Missouri Tigers (2-0): Roared past South East Missouri State 52-3. The Tigers are the class of the Big 12 North.
4. Georgia Bulldogs (2-0): A dominating 56-17 win over Central Michigan on Saturday. They should probably be rated higher, but I just like pissing off my colleague who played football for Georgia back in the day.
5. LSU Tigers (1-0): The Tigers took a Gustav inspired holiday, rescheduling their ritual slaughter of Troy until November.
6. Oregon Ducks (2-0): The Ducks fly high, defeating Utah State 66-24. But I think their mascot could kick everyone’s ass.
7. Florida Gators (2-0): Got the 26-3 win over Miami. Erin Andrews went to Florida, so maybe this school isn’t all bad.
8. Kansas Jayhawks (2-0): The Jayhawks beat Louisiana Tech 29-0. That’s four Big 12 teams in the Top 10.
9. Texas Longhorns (2-0): Went on the road to that faraway land of El Paso and beat UTEP 42-13. The Horns are putting up their early big wins so that everyone will be shocked when they lose, once again, to Oklahoma.
10. Wisconsin Badgers (2-0): Beat up on Conference USA’s Marshall on Saturday, winning 51-14. Probably the class of the Big Ten, which isn’t saying much about Wisconsin.
11. Texas Tech Red Raiders (2-0): The high-flying Tech offense has yet to really take off. But they did beat Nevada 35-19, so they stay highly rated.
12. Utah Utes (2-0): Ran over UNLV 42-21. They may be the team, and not BYU, that crashes a BCS Bowl game this bowl season.
13. Alabama Crimson Tide (2-0): Tulane spent the week in Alabama because of Gustav. The Tide was a welcome host, taking it easy and getting the 20-6 win.
14. East Carolina Pirates (2-0): Two weeks ago, they upset Virginia Tech, getting the win on the last minute punt-block and return for touchdown. This week, they dominated West Virginia from the start, getting the 24-3 win. If not Utah, maybe East Carolina will crash the BCS bowls.
15. Ohio State Buckeyes (2-0): Sure, they won. But Ohio led the Buckeyes 14-12 heading into the fourth quarter, and Ohio State had to scramble for the 26-14 win. Poor play like Ohio State doesn’t deserve a Top 10 rank. Do you hear me, Associated Press?
16. Auburn Tigers (2-0): Got the 27-13 victory over Southern Mississippi. I just think this team should be better than they are playing.
17. Arizona State Sun Devils (2-0): Beat the smart boys at Stanford 41-17.
18. TCU Horned Frogs (2-0): Wow. They really beat up on Stephen F. Austin, getting the 67-7 win. Let’s see how they do when they play a real team.
19. California Golden Bears (2-0): The Golden Bears weren’t ranked last week, but after the 66-3 win over Washington State on Saturday, it might be time to take them seriously. At least for this week.
20. BYU Cougars (2-0): This was to be my team to crash the BCS bowls this year. They got the win on Saturday, but needed officiating help.
21. South Florida Bulls (2-0): Went on the road to Central Florida and nearly pulled defeat from the jaws of victory, but held on in OT to get the 31-14 win.
22. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (2-0): They needed a last second field goal to beat Mississippi 30-28. The ACC just isn’t impressive this season.
23. Boise State Broncos (1-0): They took the week off. But I’m keeping them ranked.
24. UCLA Bruins (1-0): The Bruins also took this week off, but I’m going to let them live off their Labor Day OT victory over Tennessee for one more week.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
25. West Virginia Mountaineers (1-1): So, Pat White was supposed to be a Heisman candidate. Not anymore. Not after East Carolina shut him down in that loss on Saturday.
I took Clemson and Illinois out of the Top 25 this week. Yes, they both won, but I should have taken them out after last week, and California and East Carolina were just so impressive that I had to put them in.
-- John Royal