Weekend # 2
Well, welcome to weekend two of the College Football season.
But first, do operator error – meaning that I’m an idiot – you only got to see the picks that I made for 10 of the 16 NFL games this weekend. Here are the picks for the other 6 games:
11. The Redskins are favored by 3 over the Dolphins. Home field generally accounts for about 3 points in a point spread. The Redskins are the home team. I like Joe Gibbs. I don’t like this team. So I’m taking the Dolphins to get within 3 points.
12. The Seahawks are favored by 6 over the Bucs. I’m picking the upset and taking the Bucs. To win.
TicketsTue., Jan. 24, 7:00pm
The Curious Incident of the Dog In the Night-Time (Touring)
TicketsTue., Jan. 24, 7:30pm
U Of H Men's Basketball Chart
TicketsTue., Jan. 24, 8:00pm
Rice Owls Mens Basketball vs. Old Dominion Monarchs Basketball
TicketsThu., Jan. 26, 7:00pm
See the rest of John Royal's picks after the jump...
13. The Chargers are favored by 6 points over the Bears. Last year, I would’ve taken the Chargers. But that was before Norv Turner took over, so I’m picking the Bears to keep it close, if not win.
14. The home team Raiders are favored by 1.5 over the Lions. Jon Kitna said the Lions would win at least 10 games this year. I don’t think it will happen, but the Lions will win this one.
15. The Bengals are favored by 2.5 over the Ravens in the first match-up of the Criminal Bowl. The Bengals defense isn’t that good. But the Ravens offense isn’t that good. I’m picking the Bengals. And I can’t wait to Ocho Cinco’s http://deadspin.com/sports/nfl/nfl-roundup-dead-ben-210979.php latest end zone dance.
16. The 49ers are favored by 3 over the Cardinals. The Cardinals are a walking disaster zone. Yet. Yet. Take the Cards. I have a feeling.
And I have a feeling that I’ll be eating lots of crow come next week.
Now, on to the colleges.
My University of Houston Cougars are off this weekend, hopefully taking some time to game plan and figure out how to a) keep scoring points, b) stop with the turnovers, and c) play a little defense.
The big game of the weekend, at least Texas wide, is in Austin, of course, where the Longhorns are taking on the TCU Horned Frogs. The Horns want to prove to everybody that last weeks escape against Arkansas State was a fluke, and that they’re really worthy of a high ranking. The Horned Frogs, who have bounced around conference after conference after the dissolution of the Southwest Conference, are out to prove that they’re worthy of their Top 25 ranking. I really, really, really want the Frogs to win this game.
Rice travels up to Baylor. If Rice is going to make up for last week’s embarrassment at the hands of Nicholls State, then Baylor’s the right team to be playing. (So, Big 12, do you still think taking Baylor over T.C.U. or Houston was the right idea?) And Rice just found out that next Saturday’s game against Texas Tech, at Rice Stadium, will be aired by Fox Sports Southwest.
T.S.U. will play Alabama State at T.S.U.’s Durley Field on Saturday night. And the Aggies will be taking on David Carr’s alma matter at Kyle Field on Saturday afternoon. Gee, while I hate the Aggies, it’d sure be fun if the Aggies were to have a better record after two weeks than the Horns. And, for some reason, the Aggie game’s on TV. -- John Royal
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.