Music Genre

Club/Venue

Date

Artist

Historic Landmarks Directory

7 Search Results
Display results per page
All # A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z
  • 1859 St. Joseph

    1859 St. Joseph's Church

    2202 Ave. K Galveston, TX 77550
    806-236-0715

    http://www.galvestonhistory.org/attractions/architectural-heritage/st-josephs-church Under the direction of Bishop John Odin, the first Catholic Bishop of Texas, St. Joseph's Church was built in 1859 by German immigrants to feel the need for the growing German-Speaking Catholic population of Galveston at that time. The first German Catholic Church in Texas and the oldest wooden church building in Galveston, visitors appreciate the church's simple rectangular Gothic-revival structure, square bell tower with trefoil window, and the original, elaborate hand-carved altars and altar statues inside. Plaster Stations of the Cross with German inscriptions dating back to the early 1900s line the walls, and other original furnishings include the cedar pews, the Baptismal font, and the confessional booth. The local Catholic diocese still owns the church, but it was desanctified and closed in 1968 due to its then-dwindling congregation. Shortly thereafter, the Galveston Historical Foundation came in and leased the church, recovering and reinstalling most of the original furnishings the church had sold at auction upon closing. Today the Foundation continues to maintain and work on restoring the church, opening it up to the public for several events throughout the year. Since 2010, as a unique way for the public to experience the property, the foundation has brought in musicians to perform live on occasion, with acoustic performances sounding especially good in this structure that was designed to carry sound without the aid of electric amplification. More >>

  • 1892 Bishop

    1892 Bishop's Palace

    1302 Broadway, Galveston Galveston, TX 77550
    806-236-0715

    http://www.galvestonhistory.org/attractions/architectural-heritage/bishops-palace Currently listed among the Top 100 most significant buildings in the United States by the American Institute of Architects, this huge ornate sandstone and granite Victorian-style house was built by Galveston architect Nicholas J. Clayton between 1887 and 1892 for attorney, entrepreneur, and Civil War Veteran Colonel Walter Gresham, who relocated to Galveston from Virginia after the war with his wife Josephine, with whom he later had nine children. The Roman Catholic Diocese of Galveston bought the house in 1923 to be used as the residence of Bishop Christopher E. Byrne (hence the name), with the Sacred Heart Church situated across the street. The house was opened up to the public in 1963 when the diocese offices were moved to Houston. The Galveston Historical Foundation bought the mansion in 2013 and offers daily guided basement to attic tours and self-guided audio tours to visitors; it is also currently restoring the building at a cost of $300,000. Texas singer-songwriter David Garza filmed a music video for his song “Texas Is My Hometown” while walking through Bishop's Palace, and the Foundation has recently scheduled musician Jamie Lin Wilson of the Trishas for a rare acoustic performance at the mansion; we hope to see more musicians scheduled to play the Palace in the future. More >>

  • Galveston County Historical Museum

    123 25th St. Galveston, TX 77550
    409-766-2340

  • Galveston Strand National Historic Landmark District

    2323 Strand St. Galveston, TX 77550

  • Menard House

    1605 33rd St. Galveston, TX 77550
    409-762-3933

    http://www.galvestonhistory.org

  • Moody Mansion Museum

    2618 Broadway Galveston, TX 77550
    409-762-7668

  • The Grand 1894 Opera House

    The Grand 1894 Opera House

    2020 Postoffice St. Galveston, TX 77550
    409-765-1894

    http://www.thegrand.com In the early 1890s, theatrical magnate Henry Greenwall commissioned New Orleans architect and scenic designer Frank Cox to design a new theater for the growing town of Galveston, with construction beginning on the site of an old ice house in the summer of 1894. The completed Grand 1894 Opera House opened on January 3, 1895 with a program of classical music and a performance of “Daughters of Eve” starring actress Marie Wainwright. Since its opening, The Grand has hosted numerous plays, comedies, dance performances, operas, musical performances and more in its auditorium, which was designed with rounded walls and curved surfaces to enhance sound quality. The theater had gone through several private owners, name changes and building modifications when in 1974 the Galveston County Cultural Arts Council bought it and began restoring The Grand close to its original design, a process that took until 1986 to complete. William Jennings Bryan, Al Jolson, Tex Ritter, Gladys Knight, Willie Nelson, Lyle Lovett, Hal Holbrook and the B-52's, are among the many artists who have performed at the theater over the years; glam-metallers Mötley Crüe even filmed a music video here in 1990. Thriving with more than 40 annual productions, The Grand is currently run as a nonprofit and has survived four major hurricanes throughout the years, including the 1900 storm that killed more than 6,000 people. In 2008, Hurricane Ike submerged the theater's nine-foot Steinway piano under ten feet of salt water. More >>

Slideshows

Loading...