The Ultimate Mega Fest (UMF) is a Caribbean-style festival that kicks off the 2017 Caribbean summer festivals in Houston. It’s billed as the largest concert of its style, taking place indoors at the Hobby Event Center. UMF features mainly soca, reggae, and chutney music, as well as many other Caribbean and Latin and crossover styles like salsa, merengue, reggaeton, zouk, and dancehall. There will be live performances by international artists, and local DJs will be spinning in between sets. The doors open at 7pm and the festival ends at 4am the next day.
As a "cooler fete" ("cooler party"), attendees are encouraged to bring their coolers with drinks in non-glass containers. For everyone’s safety, no glass bottles will be allowed. There will be cups, ice, and chasers for sale. Food vendors will be on site with authentic Caribbean and Texas style dishes for sale.
General admission and VIP attendees can expect a more enjoyable festival experience with air-conditioned facilities (for comfort and longer partying), clean restrooms (no messy outdoor porta-potties), and many more amenities.
General Admission pre-sale tickets are $30 ($50 at the door) and include admission to the festival and all amenities.
VIP tickets are available for singles ($150), couples ($250), and groups of 4 ($500), and include many exclusive benefits.
- Elephant Man, a Jamaican reggae and dancehall artist, known for his mega crossover hits like "Willie Bounce" and "Pon De River Pon De Bank". His appearance at UMF will be his first in Houston, TX.
- Peter Ram from Barbados, a soca artist performing the catchy "Good Morning" popular during the 2016 Barbados Crop Over, "The Pledge" affectionately known as "Blue, Black and Yellow" and immortalized as an anthem for patriotic Barbadians, and many more tunes.
- Lavaman, a multi-talented singer-songwriter from Grenada, known for hits like "Cukus Bag", who’s also appearing for the first time in Houston at UMF.
- Ravi B, a chutney and chutney soca artist, winner of the 2017 Trinidad & Tobago Chutney Soca Monarch. His influences are Kumar Sanu, Sonu Nigam, and Machel Montano, with many of his songs featuring Indian instruments like the dholak, the tabla, and the tassa drum.
**OTHER ARTISTS AND DJs**
- DJ Active Audio from Houston
- DJ Fyah Ty from Houston
- DJ Natural Touch from Houston
- DJ Slim from Dallas
- DJ Texas Outlaw from Houston
- Steve Massive Rhythm from Brooklyn, NY
The 2017 Ultimate Mega Fest is an event that caters to the discerning tastes of festival goers in Houston and nearby areas, providing an eclectic mix of Caribbean and Latin contemporary music, food, and great times. The festival runs until 4am the next day, so attendees are encouraged to wear comfortable shoes.