10 Bands Who Have No Original Members
Heart at House of Blues in 2010
Photo by Mark Britain
Just about every famous band has featured a lineup switch at some point. Even Rush, whose lineup has been static for 39 years, had a different drummer for their first album. But every now and then we see a band whose lineup gradually erodes. The switches pile-up until, one day, the longest-serving member joined a decade after the band originally formed.
It's crazy to think that any band could continue after that. After all, if you saw them before and after, you'd be seeing two entirely different bands with the same name. Nevertheless, it does happen because the legal ownership of band names can be a weird, tumultuous thing to even think about.
Plus, there's still money to be made off those band names. These are ten you might want to think about before you decide to buy tickets to see them next time around.
10. Stratovarius Even excepting the years when the Finnish power-metal band was called "Black Water," every member that started using the name Stratovarius in 1986 is gone. The longest-serving member now is vocalist Timo Kotipelto, who joined in 1994.
9. In Flames The last remaining original member of In Flames, founded in 1993, was Jesper Stromblad, who bailed in 2010. That left vocalist Anders Friden and guitarist Bjorn Gelotte, both of whom joined in 1995, to keep it going.
Sabrina Carpenter: The De-Tour
TicketsSun., Jul. 30, 7:00pm
I Love The 90's: The Party Continues Tour
TicketsSun., Jul. 30, 7:30pm
2 Chainz - Pretty Girls Like Trap Music Tour 2017
TicketsFri., Aug. 4, 7:00pm
TicketsSat., Aug. 5, 8:00pm
Summer Slaughter Tour
TicketsMon., Aug. 7, 2:00pm
8. Blackfoot Lynyrd Skynyrd guitarist Rickey Medlocke's other band formed in 1969 and continues today with a lineup who all joined in 2012, "handpicked" by Medlocke. Medlocke hasn't played with them himself since 1997.
7. Heart Though Ann and Nancy Wilson have carried Heart since the sisters joined in 1972 and 1974, respectively, neither were original members of the Seattle band that began as White Heart about a decade earlier.
6. The Hollies Though it's close, with Tony Hicks and Bobby Elliott -- who joined in 1963 -- still kicking around with the Hollies today, neither were present upon the British Invasion band's 1962 inception.
5. Blood, Sweat & Tears BS&T has had so many members over the years it's ridiculous; check Wikipedia's section on exactly that and be amazed. One thing's for sure: none of the guys who are there now were there when it started. In fact, longest-serving member Dave Gellis joined in 1985, 18 years after the band formed.
4. Little River Band For a band whose biggest hits came during the '70s, it's crazy that Wayne Nelson -- who joined in 1980 -- is the longest-serving LRB member, and that the rest of the supporting cast joined after the year 2000.
3. Quiet Riot Long kept around solely by vocalist Kevin DuBrow, Quiet Riot disbanded when he passed away in 2007. Apparently someone saw some dollar signs, because the band was resurrected with no originals in 2010.
2. The Misfits Jerry Only, who keeps the Misfits going these days, is sometimes thought to be an original member, but he was actually the band's second bassist, leaving no OG Misfits in the band today.
1. Napalm Death If any band has made this work, it's Napalm Death, founded in 1981. Current longest-serving member Shane Embury didn't even join until 1987 and didn't even play on that year's debut record Scum. Nevertheless, the band kept on and has actually released many critically and commercially successful albums since, regardless of whether or not their members have been around from the start.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.