10 More Things I'll Be Doing at ACL Festival This Weekend
Photo by Mark C. Austin
That's right folks, it's ACL Music Festival time again in Texas, and Rocks Off will be flying to Austin on the private Rocks Off jet this weekend to cover the fest from Friday until the last notes of "Give It Away" at the end of the Red Hot Chili Peppers set on Sunday night.
That's my way of telling you that RO will be shoving all the ACL coverage you can deal with into your computer holes.
This will be my sixth time busting the gates at Zilker Park, no wiser than the first time I went in 2007 as a freelancer. It's been a fun ride. Some of the kids that were conceived on a quilt in the middle of Bjork's '07 fiery (literally) set are probably going to be hanging out at the kiddie stage this year too.
My favorite one so far? That's a tie between 2007 and 2008 I guess. 2007 had Queens of the Stone Age, LCD Soundsystem, Bjork, Arcade Fire, Wilco, My Morning Jacket, The National, and a pre-massive Muse. 2008? Foos, David Byrne, Beck, Robert Plant, Roky, Band of Horses, and Man Man.
Around festival time last year I picked five undercard acts that could headline in '12. Our wish for a Die Antwoord ACL notch was filled this year, by the way. Only one of the bands on my list is even playing ACL this year, and that's bluesman Gary Clark Jr., who has mucho staying power, besides being from Austin himself.
But let's be honest, my great-grandkids will be seeing Gary Clark Jr. in 60 years.
Last year I also told you about the things I would probably be doing at the festival, and wouldn't you know it, I ended up doing half of them. Even the Kanye one. Shamefully.
Let's do it again this year!
10. Somewhere I will be saying over drinks that I am never ever coming back to ACL and this is the last time I am covering such a sweaty, stanky hippie festival because Fun Fun Fun Fest is so much more cool and metal.
(2013: "Oh shit! Led Zeppelin is playing!!!?? When can I apply for credentials??!!")
9. Telling people from New York that I have known who Quiet Company was since like, 2009.
(They were my friends on Twitter when Snoop Lion was still Snoop Dogg, ya heard?)
8. Watching people recoil and run for the exits when Iggy Pop whips it out during the Stooges' set.
(Been there, seen that.)
7. Walking around aimlessly because I don't like the (fill in the blank) afternoon lineup and (insert name of indie buzz band) either.
(Oh cool, I can get some Toms painted for the missus.)
Photo By Jim Bricker
6. Complaining about the makeshift bro-town in front the Black Keys' Friday night headlining set.
(I own two of their shirts at home, BTW.)
5. Trying to snap a decent picture of Neil Young with a bump of Cialis stuck in his nose.
(This is only funny if you have seen The Last Waltz)
4. Howling and laughing at the people forsaking Young's Crazy Horse set for Jack White's on the other side of the park.
(Even Jack is laughing at you.)
3. Breathing a sigh of relief that there are only two major EDM acts on the headlining bill and no sadly no Skrillex.
(And also lamenting not seeing a parade of furry boots and duct-tape bikinis and ensuing pervert web hits that come from them.)
2. Overhearing a baby boomer calling Florence from Florence + The Machine a "Stevie Nicks wannabe" while walking to see Weezer.
(Is perception reality?)
1. Totally picking dust boogers out of my nose on the way home on I-10 on Sunday night.
(Lies! I will be doing that all weekend!I am even practicing now.)
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.