Turns out Flesh N Bone -- yes, of Bone Thugs-N-Harmony fame -- has quite the green thumb, and he's using this super-power to spark up a little buzz.
In a move that makes him a viable candidate for my favorite rapper of all time, Mr. Stanley "Flesh N Bone" Howse has developed a new strain of medical marijuana known as "Phifty Calibur Cush," and he's cultivating and distributing his new type o' weed with the help of Green Oasis, a Michigan-based dispensary that specializes in being awesome.
So far, Phifty Calibur is receiving praise for its ability to provide effective pain relief for whatever ails ya. Oh, and not only will Phifty knock your pain on its ass, but apparently also has a "noticeably floral taste." (Um, I'm no scientist here, but I'd assume that "floral taste" is occuring because you're smoking a plant, smarties.)
You don't have to purchase Flesh's med-o-weed by the nickel sack, either. If you're a bit more of a do-it-yourself kind of smoker, Green Oasis is also distributing the seeds so that you can plant your own pot -- but only if you live in a state where you don't have to bust out special equipment to grow the plants in your closet. Sorry folks.
So yeah. Welcome to the new age of medical marijuana, where harmonizing rappers are now schlepping their mad-science wares in states like Michigan that aren't stuck in the 17th century. (Oh yes, that's me giving you the side-eye, Texas.)
Even if Texas won't jump on the ganja bandwagon, this is an equation that makes sense to me. Who else is as qualified as Flesh N Bone to judge the effectiveness of a new blend of weed?
I mean, those thuggish ruggish Bones are obviously big Mary Jane fans -- they pay homage to her on all of their albums, so they probably know a thing or two about what it takes to get you higher than a muthafucka. (Also, Flesh's hair is like medicine for my soul, so he can do no wrong in my book.)
This whole scenario has got the hamster wheel in my head turning. If Flesh N Bone can channel his inner weed scientist, surely there are other musicians that should school the medical marijuana field with their pot expertise.
Below are some artists who should also start to splice together some weed plants, cause I'd like to see what kind of joints they'd roll out with.
10. Willie Nelson Unrepentant marijuana connoisseur and country legend Willie Nelson is an obvious candidate to develop cannabis; I'm not sure anyone on the planet has smoked more herb than Mr. Nelson. He's already got a strain of weed named after him, though, so naming a new product could get a little sticky-icky.
9. Bob Dylan It's obvious why Dylan is on this list; he's a legendary pothead in his own right, and he's also known as the man who turned the Beatles on to Cannabis. This Dylan-developed weed strain needs to happen.
8. Neil Young I know he's quit smoking, but he quit smoking after 40 years. The man knows the difference between cannabis blends, even if he's not currently one to partake in the pastime.
7. Lil Wayne I mean, the guy flat out says -- "Get my kush in California, get my dro from Arizona" -- why travel, Lil Wayne, when we could cultivate a strain of bud all your own? Think of the benefits for you in this.
6. Dave Matthews I mean, have you ever been to a DMB concert? The contact high alone is enough to cause an immediate hankering for Taco Bell. Dave may have quit smoking to fight the Global Warming epidemic, but there's bound to be a few pointers he can throw out for the best way to cultivate a new crop or two.
5. Tom Petty Just Google the words "Tom Petty Weed" -- he's credited with some of the best pot songs of all time. Don't make this your last dance with Mary Jane, Mr. Petty. We'd really like you to share.
4. Snoop (Lion?) He may have changed his name and his musical sound (in part, anyway), but the guy who rapped about chronic is merely now a Rastafari convert who... still raps about weed. He's also made it his life's mission to teach children about responsible weed use. Yep, he's on the good shit, and he needs to share.
3. Kid Cudi The lonely stoner might not be so lonely if he'd take a few pointers from Flesh N Bone and start splicing some plants together for us. Jus' sayin'.
2. Ziggy Marley Yeah, so this would be Bob Marley's son, in case you live under a rock. Not only is he the offspring of the reggae great, but he's also a proponent of marijuana use and calls it "nutritious". He knows something we don't, people. It's time for him to pair up with a dispensary and get to work. Ziggy Marley, savin' lives.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
1. Wiz Khalifa The guy rolls joints bigger than King Kong's fingers, was busted for weed twice in 10 days, and still uses terms like "wake and bake" in interviews. The guy could probably conjure up some serious strains of the wacky tobaccky, I'd imagine.