5 Bands George Clooney Likes
Boy, the Houston media is in a tizzy about George Clooney today. The King of Hollywood is in town this evening as part of the "Brilliant Lecture Series" at the Wortham Center. (Celebrity with a Cause Alert: Clooney, who will be interviewed by Houston socialite Lynn Wyatt, will probably discuss his activism in Central Africa.)
The anchors on the morning news program Rocks Off watches could barely cut to the traffic report, they were so excited. Culturemap is beside itself. Far be it from Rocks Off to steer clear of this particular bandwagon. We understand Clooney is a musical fellow, so we did a little research to find out a few of his favorites.
Mostly we wanted to run the above clip from O Brother, Where Art Thou? Even though that's not George singing (it's Dan Tyminski from Alison Krauss & Union Station), we love that song.
5. Pink Floyd: After seeing Roger Waters Tuesday, Rocks Off was glad to see Clooney put "Another Brick In the Wall, Part 2" on a list he did for BBC-4's Desert Island Discs program. The rest of the list is a mixture of sad ballads (Hank Williams), soul (Bill Withers) and Clooney's prankish sense of humor (William Shatner's "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds").
4. Bob Dylan: Clooney included D.A. Pennebaker's 1967 Dylan documentary Don't Look Back on a list of his 100 favorite films he gave to Parade magazine.
3. Rosemary Clooney: Clooney is a well-established lover of classic pop balladry. Supposedly, Dinah Washington's "Destination Moon" is his all-time favorite song. No doubt he came by it honestly, and at an early age -- the late actress and singer (and singing actress) Rosemary Clooney was his aunt.
2. Marvin Gaye: "George Clooney listens to Marvin Gaye when he makes love." Who doesn't? That's according to British Web site femalefirst.uk, who got Clooney's onetime paramour Lisa Snowdon to spill the beans about Clooney's boudoir listening. His current flame, former WWE personality Stacy Keibler, seems to prefer Coldplay.
1. Foo Fighters: A journalist once caught Clooney listening to Dave Grohl & Co. in his car. The Foos headlined a fundraiser for Barack Obama in L.A. back in February, and Clooney was part of the "Donor's Club" of people who wrote checks with many, many zeroes. Therefore, that makes him a Foo Fighters fan.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.