A Few Possible Cures For Rocks Off's Acute "Can't Stay Home" Syndrome
Monday night, an obviously delirious Rocks Off found ourselves upstairs at the Mink's Backroom instead of where we should have been, home in bed asleep. We enjoyed high-energy/lo-fi trio Vivian Girls, but at this point we are starting to realize we may have a problem. If you happen to share our peculiar disease, here's some other things coming up to keep you off the couch.
- Bouncing around Texas after SXSW, dreamy Brooklyn quartet Via Audio - above, who remind us of Tom Tom Club a little - pulls into Cactus Music for a 5:30 p.m. in-store with Spring Standards and Dill Dotson and the Chupacabra Kings. Via Audio will be back Thursday at Mango's too.
- There's always Super Happy Fun Land's seemingly never-ending SXSW Overflow Fest. Up tonight are San Antonio's Falling Lisa, Irishman Kiernan McMullen, Pennsylvanians Peasant, Cincinnati's The Seedy Seeds, Iowans Mondo Drag and California garagers the Bad Assets. Tomorrow, the final night (we think), features three acts from China.
- Don't forget the "Guthrie Family Reunion" tour kills fascists, or tries to, at Miller Outdoor Theatre at 8 p.m. tonight. Free show.
- Intriguing post-punks Fiskadoro - intriguing because of their hard-to-pinpoint sound and because they live in Lake Jackson - play AvantGarden tonight with Somosuno and Austin's Followed by Static.
- As ever, Little Joe Washington at Boondocks and Nick Gaitan & The Umbrella Man at the Continental tonight are both free.
- Blues machine Texas Johnny Brown stings Discovery Green's Blues & Burgers lunchtime concert series at noon tomorrow. Also free.
- Benjamin Wesley hosts a free show at Walter's tomorrow night featuring Roky Moon & Cassie Hargrove from BOLT, Blaggards, Buxton's Sergio Trevino, Wesley's Fucking Transmissions bandmate CornbreaDD, Sara Van Buskirk, Sideshow Tramps' Craig Kinsey, Chase Hamblin and Harlan Hodges & friends. $1 Lone Stars too... uh oh.
- The Oscar-winning Crazy Heart is still playing at the River Oaks 3. One of these days we're going to get around to seeing it.
God, we need a vacation.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.