ACL Notebook Dump, Pt. 4: Burning Taints, Celebrity Scorecard, Live Nation Taking Over ACL TV? and More
* Overheard on Barton Springs Road walking out of Zilker Park Saturday: "Dude, my taint is burning!" I did not investigate further.
* Celebrity Scorecard: Chuck Woolery was milling around the media area Friday, as was Elijah Wood. Bill Murray was at Emo's Saturday for Okkervil River - tipping the door guys $100 when they kept him from getting mobbed on the street - and wore a C3 Presents cap on the sidelines at that afternoon's UT football game. Shooter Jennings' girlfriend, The Sopranos' Drea de Matteo, had the entire Artists' Village cooing over their baby Sunday.
* Ironically, this is the last year C3 Presents is booking ACL's namesake PBS program. According to the Austin American-Statesman, C3's plate is full with its expanding concert and festival business, and Houston-based concert giant Live Nation is a leading candidate to take over.
* If someone could explain why the WaMu/Chase/whatever tent was the only ACL stage without a bar nearby, Rocks Off would like to know. He sure could have used a brew during Shooter Jennings.
* The plastic chairs on ACL's Festival Beach near the AT&T Blue Room stage are far and away the best place in the park to watch a show. They offer a great view of the video screens on the AMD stage as well.
* Given that the amount of people using bandannas to shield their lungs made Saturday and Sunday look like a casting call for Young Guns 3, it's amazing none of the 130-odd performers this weekend thought to print up a few hundred and sell them alongside T-shirts and CDs in the stock-pit-like Waterloo Records tent. - Chris Gray
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.