Bayou Beat: Because sometimes Houston is too big for just one Mixtape.
- Attention Houston bands, rappers, folksingers, etc.: If you are playing in Austin next week - anywhere in Austin, not just an official SXSW event - please email firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP. Rocks Off has some questions we'd like to ask you.
- Indian Jewelry (above), who plays a non-SXSW show Saturday, March 20 at Austin's Ms. Bea's (wherever that is), will release Totaled, the follow-up to 2008's Free Gold, April 11 on We Are Free Records. The psych-noise insurgents are about to put some serious miles on their van, zig-zagging from NX35 in Denton Friday to SXSW to the MtyMX All Ages Festival of Art and Music in Monterrey, Mex., March 21 to Norman Fest in Norman, Okla., April 24.
- KTRU announced the lineup for its annual Spring Outdoor Fest Wednesday: San Diego indietechques Rafter, who also have several SXSW dates, headline over Houston's Fat Tony, Space City Gamelan, Ghost Mountain, Wasp and Pear, children's entertainer Rachel Buchman and Rice battle of the bands winner Office Party. The festival runs noon to dark on the Rice campus (follow your nose) and is totally free.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- Live Nation announced late Wednesday that Sting will stop at the Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion September 25 on his current tour featuring the Royal Philharmonic Concert Orchestra. (That's going to be one hellacious load-in.) Tickets go on sale 10 a.m. Monday, March 22 at livenation.com.
- If you're up in da club this weekend, you could well hear "Beat It Up," the new single by rising Houston R&B comer Bertell, from his forthcoming Capitol debut Goin' Hard. Bertell's PR company thoughtfully calls the single "full of indiscreet and improbable scenarios." (Riiiiight.) See him explain all about the "Suicide Position" in this exclusive Playboy.com video. Rocks Off has never, ever done anything like that.