Buxton, Wild Moccasins Join New West Records
Here at Rocks Off, we try our best to cover all the local music news, both large and small. Where else are you going to read that you can play Slim Thug on Words With Friends? It is reasons such as these that we trudge the war zones of RSS feeds, seeking out crucial tidbits of information.
OK, maybe that Slim Thug bit is a bad example. But we do come across breaking news, like today's early morning announcement that Buxton (above) and Wild Moccasins have been signed to independent label New West Records. Congratulations to both of the bands; they've certainly put in a lot of work over the past year.
What'll it be for the soundtrack this week? Perhaps this new sampler from local label Agro-Wax Records, featuring songs from Janitor, Crime Wave, and The PRMC will do the job. Note: Cover NSFW.
Or perchance you'd like to grab rapper ILL LiaD's new album, Salvation.
There are a lot of shows out there this weekend, so we thought we'd highlight a few:
- Nick Gaitan & The Umbrella Man swing down to East End beer joint the D&W Lounge.
- There's a thundering show tonight at Rudyard's, featuring Ghosttown Electric, Big Fiction, Omotai, and Canyons. Bring some earplugs if hearing is something you'll need on Saturday.
- Just why should tinnitus be avoided on Friday night? Because it's readily available via one of three shows on Saturday. First and foremost is Hell City Kings and White Rhino's split seven-inch release at Rudyard's. Admission will net you a copy of the vinyl, but the bands may blow off ears.
- There's a less raucous show across downtown at Vinyl Junkie, featuring Football, etc. MuhammidAli, Hold Tight! and All At Sea.
- And at Fitz, The Transco Empire is throwing an Elvis birthday bash, complete with MuhammidAli, Darwin's Finches, and some fellow impersonating the King himself. Like many of the venue's recent shows, this one is free for folks over 21.
TicketsFri., Dec. 9, 8:00pm
TicketsTue., Dec. 13, 8:00pm
Kelsea Ballerini - The First Time Tour
TicketsWed., Dec. 14, 7:00pm
MIX 96.5 Not So Silent Night with Train and Fitz & the Tantrums
TicketsThu., Dec. 15, 8:00pm
Flosstradamus - Hi Def Youth Tour 2016
TicketsFri., Dec. 16, 8:00pm
We touched on this earlier in the week, but anyone that hasn't watched it yet needs to check out listenlisten's new video for "I Will Forget."
Need some more video content for those eyeballs?
- Episode 25 of Live From SugarHill is out, and features former Houstonian Tody Castillo.
- The Blaggards performed at The Continental Club last month, during a holiday toy drive. Check out their "Prison Love Songs" medley.
- Chris Letchford from the local prog-rock quartet Scale The Summit plays along to one of their tunes on his new Strandberg headless 7-String guitar. Did you know these fellows went on tour with Dream Theater?
- And this old video of Los Skarnales on Bourbon Street surfaced this week.
SugarHill isn't the only gang in town with their own video series - The Caroline Sessions have been updating their sessions collection like crazy lately, as well as announcing several upcoming tapings.
Our friend and Rocks Off comrade Adam P. Newton runs his own music blog, Dryvetyme Onlyne, and outlines what to expect from the site in the coming year. That includes some new writers, plans for concert reviews, as well as news that Newton is about to be a published author.
While Newton looks forward, Andrew Karnavas looks back on his year in music, including solo projects Runaway Sun and BangBangBoom, and new children's-music endeavor, AndyRoo. Runaway Sun also added several songs and videos to their ReverbNation profile.
The Jud Johnson Band has been giving away a song every day since the new year started, and will continue to do so through the Jan. 11.
"Fast Car" - the new single from Roxxi Jane - hit YouTube this week, with a link where you can download the track.
Legendary Houston noisemaker (no, seriously) Richard Ramirez's project Werewolf Jerusalem was hand-selected to join Skullflower on a half-dozen European dates. The rumor mill has also alerted us to be on the watch for a collaboration between Ramirez and some feller you may have heard of: Thurston Moore.
Pasadena trash-punks Freddie Ghonerea & The Gunz are currently missing their vocalist/guitarist, Jack, who turned himself in to the cops. Just before that, though, they went and recorded this album, The State of Texas Vs. F.G. & The Gunz, which is now available on Bandcamp.
Speaking of folks going to jail, expect the Twitter feed of Carolyn "Medicine Girl" Rodriguez to be silent for a while. Rodriguez announced this week that she'll be doing a month for a joint, starting today.
Oh, and we met the ultimate beard in Rock N' Roll last night, the venerable Billy Gibbons. He told us that ZZ Top is working up material to send to legendary producer Rick Rubin.
That's all for this week. Remember, you can ensure that MCM sees your news by sending it in a simple e-mail to marc [dot] brubaker [at] gmail [dot] com.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.