Can't Look Away: The Top 10 MTV VMA Shenanigans
We're looking forward to Sunday's Video Music Awards, because despite MTV's relative lameness these days, the VMA shenanigans still can't be topped. Musicians come out sporting some of their worst behavior, resulting in a room full of egos and alcohol that generally leads to some pretty awesome antics.
In anticipation of Sunday's shenanigans, we've compiled a list of the ten most jaw-dropping VMA moments thus far. Here's to hoping someone can drink more alcohol than Kanye or wear something skimpier than Rose McGowan, cause those hot messes will be hard to one-up.
10. Lady Gaga appears as alter ego "Jo Calderone," as Britney shuts down her attempt to make out onstage. Very little Lady Gaga does is shocking anymore, as she's worn out that card time and time again. However, this little video was back when people were still a little stunned by what she was doing. When Gaga appeared on the VMAs in drag, talking about how she used to touch herself at night to Britney Spears posters, well, what the hell was that? Britney shut her down on her attempt to kiss her, though. She's no Madonna, I suppose.
9. Macy Gray sports a shameless dress/album plug, and it's weird. The words "My new album drops September 18, 2001" across the front of a dress, and "Buy it" across the ass should never exist on this planet. Ever.
8. We hate to even bring this up...again... but Kanye West hijacks the stage from Taylor Swift. Yes, I'm sorry. I know it's been beaten to death, but honestly, this list wouldn't be legit if we didn't at least acknowledge Kanye's epic rant about Beyonce having the greatest music video of all time... during Taylor Swift's acceptance speech. What a douche.
List continues on the next page.
7. Michael Jackson accepts a nonexistent award for "Artist of the Millennium" with the strangest speech ever. The whole thing was just so freakin' odd. All I can say is poor Michael. It's cool how he shouts out to David Blaine's magic, though. It is real, and we believe in him too.
6. Sacha Baron Cohen sticks his ass in Eminem's face, and Eminem pouts and walks out. Okay, so not technically the VMAs, but it was the Movie Awards and involves Eminem, so it stays. Dressed in little more than a harness and some wings, Cohen managed to shove his entire bare ass into Eminem's face during a stunt to promote "Bruno," during which Cohen flew around the venue and conveniently landed in Eminem's lap.
Slim Shady certainly looked legitimately pissed, and Cohen's obviously rehearsed line, "Is the real Slim Shady about to stand up?" probably didn't help much. At least his ass was waxed?
5. Rose McGowan's dress is made of, well, skin. It takes a lot to upstage Marilyn Manson's wannabe-goth antics, but Rose McGowan, his girlfriend at the time of the 1998 VMAs, managed to do just that by wearing what equated to dental floss and a thong. Bravo, Rose. Thanks to your exposed ass, there was something more to look at than those silly-ass contacts Marilyn sports on the regular.
List continues on the next page.
4. Diana Ross flops Lil Kim's boob and pastie around. Miss Ross's fabulous hair should have taken center stage, but unfortunately it was upstaged by Lil Kim's free-flowin' left boob, which was covered only by a pastie. Ross made sure to help it ease on down the road to fame by flopping it up and down a couple times. It made me love her even more.
3. Courtney Love acts like a toddler and throws a makeup compact at Madonna, who punks her like a boss. There's not much Courtney Love won't do for attention, but when she started throwing whatever the hell was in her purse at Madonna during an interview with Kurt Loder before the 1995 VMAs, Madonna shut her the fuck down with one sentence: "Courtney Love is in dire need of attention right now." Yes, yes she was. And damn, did it make us like Madge.
2. Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley's makeout session causes the world to throw up in its mouth a bit. Even Lisa Marie looked horrified with what occurred on that stage during the 1994 VMA's. PDA that is that forced is only acceptable at never o'clock, folks.
1. Rage Against The Machine's bassist Tim Commerford climbs up on some shit and refuses to come down during Limp Bizkit's acceptance speech, also like a boss. Limp Bizkit sucks. Someone needed to protest, so who better than a member of Rage? He was just trying to save us from another decade of crappy music, courtesy of Fred Durst and company. Too bad it didn't work.
ROCKS OFF'S GREATEST HITS
Top 10 Bars, Clubs & Ice Houses On the Northside Daddy, Why Is Numbers Called Numbers? The Top Five Most Disastrous Musician Interviews Ever The 10 Suckiest Bands of the '00s Top 10 Bars, Clubs & Ice Houses In the Galleria Area
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.