Christmas Past: Top 5 Christmas Rap Songs
While we celebrate the holidays, Rocks Off is resurrecting a few of our best Christmas-themed blogs from the past few years. (Wait... resurrecting is Easter. Never mind.) This blog originally appeared December 20, 2010.
Show us one hip-hop head who isn't obsessed with corny Christmas sing-alongs and we'll show you a liar. Nothing says "hip-hop" like cheery holiday tunes about sharing and caring. In the spirit of holiday music, Rocks Off compiled a list of five Christmas rap songs guaranteed to make you the famous at the family Christmas party.
5. RZA feat. Craig Ferguson, "Deck the Halls (Live)" So what if RZA sounds like your mother-in-law singing in the shower right after someone turned up the hot water downstairs? It's the muthafuckin' RZA. Singing "Deck the Halls."
4. Eazy-E, "Merry Muthafuckin' Christmas" There's no better way to get in the Christmas spirit than Eazy-E's prepubescent voice wishing your family a "Merry muthafuckin' Christmas and a fucked up New Year." The outro is teeming with inspiration: "And they all went to prison and lived fucked up ever after. The end."
Mas Musica! featuring La Gusana Ciega, Porter, Siddhartha
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 6:00pm
Nothing But Thieves presented by Ones To Watch
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 7:00pm
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats
TicketsMon., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
THALIA - Latina Love Tour
TicketsMon., Oct. 3, 8:00pm
TicketsTue., Oct. 4, 7:00pm
3. Run-DMC, "Christmas in Hollis" The great thing about "Christmas in Hollis" is that it manages to be both funny and catchy with just the right dose of corny. We dare you to sit still when that horn riff drops. We dare you.
2. Kanye West, "Christmas in Harlem" Santa kicks a mean 16 on Kanye's "Christmas in Harlem." He even explains why we keep seeing him with that ridiculously long beard. "I'll be there soon on my sleigh, me and Rudolph / thugs think I'm a blood 'cause I won't take this red suit off / I swear I got the freshest wardrobe / I let my beard grow cause it's cold in the North Pole."
1. Kurtis Blow, "Christmas Rappin'" Back when Kanye was still a young boy playing with water pistol, Kurtis Blow kept it real with this funky Christmas tale. Ol' boy was dead serious about this Christmas business, too. He had on his best loan appointment suit for the TOTP performance in this clip. Genius as genius does.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.