Dr. Roger Wood's Matagorda Island Discs
This week's installment comes courtesy of Dr. Roger Wood, a one-time Press contributor and the author of Down in Houston: Bayou City Blues and Texas Zydeco. Wood apologized for what he termed the conventionality of his list, but says if he tried to get any hipper with his roll call, he would be lying.
1. Anthology of American Folk Music, various artists, edited by Harry Smith: 84 gritty, haunting songs from the fundamental genres, recorded 1927-1932.
2. Rock 'n' Roll Gumbo, Professor Longhair: With Gatemouth Brown on guitar and fiddle.
3. 40 Greatest Hits, Hank Williams
4. Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan
5. The Definitive Louis Armstrong (Ken Burns Jazz series), Louis Armstrong
6. Rubber Soul, Beatles
7. Workingman's Dead, Grateful Dead
8. Two Steps from the Blues, Bobby Bland
9. Rain Dogs, Tom Waits
10. Giant Steps, John Coltrane
(Want your own picks to appear in this space? Send them to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can write about your picks as much or as little as you want.)
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.