Dr. Roger Wood's Matagorda Island Discs
This week's installment comes courtesy of Dr. Roger Wood, a one-time Press contributor and the author of Down in Houston: Bayou City Blues and Texas Zydeco. Wood apologized for what he termed the conventionality of his list, but says if he tried to get any hipper with his roll call, he would be lying.
1. Anthology of American Folk Music, various artists, edited by Harry Smith: 84 gritty, haunting songs from the fundamental genres, recorded 1927-1932.
2. Rock 'n' Roll Gumbo, Professor Longhair: With Gatemouth Brown on guitar and fiddle.
3. 40 Greatest Hits, Hank Williams
Mas Musica! featuring La Gusana Ciega, Porter, Siddhartha
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 6:00pm
Nothing But Thieves presented by Ones To Watch
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 7:00pm
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats
TicketsMon., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
THALIA - Latina Love Tour
TicketsMon., Oct. 3, 8:00pm
TicketsTue., Oct. 4, 7:00pm
4. Highway 61 Revisited, Bob Dylan
5. The Definitive Louis Armstrong (Ken Burns Jazz series), Louis Armstrong
6. Rubber Soul, Beatles
7. Workingman's Dead, Grateful Dead
8. Two Steps from the Blues, Bobby Bland
9. Rain Dogs, Tom Waits
10. Giant Steps, John Coltrane
(Want your own picks to appear in this space? Send them to email@example.com. You can write about your picks as much or as little as you want.)
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.