EDC Vegas Pulls Plug on Music Due to High Winds
[Update at 2:48 a.m]:
EDC is over for the night. Organizers are waiting for crowds to thin out before making an official announcement. More details and older updates at the bottom.
Electric Daisy Carnival in Las Vegas was shut down late Saturday night/early Sunday morning as a result of high winds buffeting tall sound stages. A representative of the Los Angeles-based promoter said the music stoppage was temporary and that winds were being monitored to determine when fans could return to the stage areas.
Patrons were told...
... to head to the stands at the venue, Las Vegas Motor Speedway, until further notice.
The shut-down appeared to cut off sets by Calvin Harris and Dubfire.
Organizers announced the situation around 12:45 a.m.
One festival worker said there were "well over" 100,000 patrons tonight.
Promoters of the three-day dance music festival, which started in Los Angeles and moved to Las Vegas last year amid controversy in L.A., said they sold 300,000 three-day tickets.
[Update at 1:56 a.m]:
We were told the stages were designed to withstand 80-mph winds; gusts tonight were said to be hitting up to 40.
Organizers practiced a high-wind scenario as preparation for just such a night.
Background music played shortly before 2 a.m. as patrons were allowed to return to some parts of the main grounds.
A decision to pull the plug on the night or restart the festivities was expected shortly.
More updates below:
[Update at 2:11 a.m]:
Organizers released this statement:
With approximately 90,000 fans who have cleared the turnstiles as of 1 am tonight, Insomniac, the producer of Electric Daisy Carnival, Las Vegas, asked fans to calmly head to the stands of the Las Vegas Motor Speedway as high winds posed a possible threat to fan safety.
At approximately 1 a.m. Insomniac, in conjunction with public safety officials, made the decision to temporarily halt the show while an evaluation on wind conditions was made.
"Fan safety is Insomniac's highest priority. We cannot control Mother Nature and we are taking every precaution while high winds continue, and have cleared the stage areas temporarily as a preventative measure," said Pasquale Rotella, founder and CEO of Insomniac. "We are asking fans to be patient inside and outside the venue while we evaluate the weather conditions."
As winds are being assessed a final decision on the status of the production is pending.
[Added at 5:45 a.m.]: Another statement by organizers said that crowds were allowed to stay until 5:30 a.m. Mobile sound systems were parked in the infield for temporary entertainment.
The promoter added:
At 2:45 a.m. Insomniac, the producer of Electric Daisy Carnival, Las Vegas, in consultation with public safety officials, made the decision that due to extremely high wind conditions, the crowd would be cleared away from the stage areas. The decision was made out of an abundance of caution and with fan safety in mind.
Among those whose anticipated sets were cancelled for the night: Steve Aoki performing with Blue Man Group, Tiesto, MSTRKFT, Richie Hawtin, Avicii, Dubfire and Armin Van Buuren.
Organizers said the show would go on Sunday for the third day of the fest.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.