Five Songs That Are Surprisingly Awesome When Dubstepped
So I'm not sure how this blog came to fruition, but it did, and I can honestly tell you that I never expected to be writing about dubstep. I don't mind the whole electronic-music craze, but you would be hard-pressed to find me making the trek to Ultra Fest or something. (Not to mention I had to Google what the hell Molly was. Yeah, I'm that uncool.)
I also didn't think it was possible to take an artist like Neil Young, throw in some loud-ass beats while chopping it all to hell, and still somehow wind up with a product that isn't utter shite. But as I sit here willingly listening to a remix of Marvelettes' "Please Mr. Postman," waiting for the fuckin' bass to drop, I can tell you, I might be a changed woman. Either that or I've finally lost my shit.
Below are five of the most random -- yet totally decent -- remixes I've found while sifting through the endless mountains of dubstep on YouTube. I've enjoyed this little journey, but I'll never again be able to listen to Marvin Gaye's albums without waiting for the bottom to drop out. So thanks, dubs. Thanks.
5. "Trojans,"Atlas Genius (Blank Postal Remix) I was already a fan of the original, but the Blank Postal Remix of Atlas's "Trojans" manages to remain chill as hell while changing it up enough to morph it into a pretty interesting dubstep version. Atlas has a remix of "Trojans" on their album that was put out by Lenno, but I actually prefer this one.
4. "Old Man," Neil Young (Sound Remedy Remix) You can knock this song for remixing a legend, but it's pretty badass to know that there's a vested interest in keeping ol' Neil Young around and hip, even if it's not your speed. It will be, though, 'cause it's fuckin' Neil Young dubstepped.
GOT7 FLIGHT LOG: [TURBULENCE] IN USA 2017
TicketsFri., Jan. 27, 7:00pm
Ozz - A Tribute To Ozzy Osbourne
TicketsSat., Jan. 28, 7:00pm
Sevyn Streeter: The Girl Disrupted Tour
TicketsSat., Jan. 28, 7:00pm
TicketsSat., Jan. 28, 8:00pm
Super Bowl Gospel Celebration
TicketsFri., Feb. 3, 7:30pm
3. "Fireflies," Owl City (Trillbass & G Tubbs Remix) I mean, we all know Owl City's music fucking sucks in the original format, so I was completely shocked that not only did the Trillbass remix make it palatable, it made it borderline frickin' awesome. They managed to man up the song a bit without removing the softer qualities altogether. It's a chick-friendly dubstep, if I do say so myself, and I can dig it.
2. "Eleanor Rigby," The Beatles (MXWL Remix) I got the side-eye from a few people in the Houston Press office for this one, but I stand by my decision to include it. Perhaps it's just my overall love for the original track that has blossomed into a newfound obsession for good ol' Eleanor taking her song into a harder dubstep territory, but I really think this works.
1. "What's Going On," Marvin Gaye (NiT GRiT Remix) This might be my favorite of all five of these remixes. Oh, just listen to it; you'll see why.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.