George Strait's Top 20 Songs Of All Time: Nos. 10-6
Before we proceed to today's portion of the George Strait countdown - catch up with Nos. 20-16 and 15-11 - here are a few interesting tidbits about King George. It is "fact-finding Friday," after all.
Strait has been a spokesperson for Resistol hats, Justin boots, Wrangler jeans, Chevy trucks and Central/South Texas farm-and-ranch outfitter Tractor Supply Co... Bubba Strait, who co-wrote several songs on his dad's new album Here For a Good Time, competed in team roping at the 2006 Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo shortly before George Sr. performed as the evening's entertainment... The lyrics "I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time" from Strait's most recent single, "Here for a Good Time," are also the catchphrase of ex-WWE wrestler and Sirius/XM Outlaw Country weekend DJ Hillbilly Jim.
"Here for a Good Time" is currently No. 9 on the Billboard country singles chart. Now, on with the countdown. Today we've got some of Strait's finest balladry, a lively if geographically misguided Cajun jam and his answer to the liberal sexual mores of the late '70s.
10. "Run": Is this the most female-friendly Strait track? Possibly. It reaffirmed to country gals everywhere the attractiveness of Strait, while giving the guys a song to send to their gals. You should see the couples dance to this in the aisles at Strait shows. Craig Hlavaty
Written By: Tony Lane & Anthony Smith Originally Released On: The Road Less Traveled (2001)
9. "Adalaida": Strait shows he knows Cajun in this frisky two-step that was a No. 3 hit in 1995. Although Acadiana peters out well before Lake Ponchartain, which figures prominently in the lengths Strait swears he'll go to win the love of his "sweet Dixie flower," his Louisiana fans probably don't mind. "Hurricane" doesn't rhyme with "Bayou Teche," after all. Chris Gray
Written By: Mike Geiger, Mike Huffman & Woody Mullis Originally Released On: Lead On (1994)
8. "I Know She Still Loves Me": Few songs can scare you more out of wanting to get married than this one from Strait's career retrospective, Strait Out of the Box. The four-disc set hit store shelves in time for the gift-giving season in September 1995. Fifteen years on, we think we are due for another box set, right? C.H.
Written By: Aaron Barker & Monty Holmes Originally Relased On: Strait Out of the Box (1995)
7. "If You're Thinking You Want a Stranger (There's One Coming Home)": George goes Urban Cowboy in this glossy (for him) ballad, promising his partner that despite some recent absences, she can find all the swinging-singles action she needs right there at home. A familiar predicament for musicians, but in real life Strait and wife Norma will celebrate their 40th wedding anniversary this December. C.G.
Written By: Blake Mevis & David Wills Originally Released On: Strait Country (1981)
6. "It Ain't Cool To Be Crazy About You": This is Strait at perhaps his most emo-friendly. Guy likes girl, girl is kind of a player, guy professes his love to the protests of his bros, girl could care less, and he ends up (like all Strait characters) sitting at a bar crying and/or drinking. Or maybe getting a Strait tattoo on the back of his calf as therapy. The song works on so many levels, and personally, having been in positions like this one makes it all the more true. Hell yeah, George. C.H.
Written By: Dean Dillon & Royce Porter Originally Released On: #7, 1986
Only five more to go... see you Monday.
BONUS: GEORGE STRAIT'S HIGHEST-CHARTING POP SINGLES Source: Allmusic/Billboard
"We Really Shouldn't Be Doing This" (No. 44, 1998) "Desperately" (No. 44, 2004) "Go On" (No. 40, 2000) "Meanwhile" (No. 38, 1999) "Cowboys Like Us" (No. 38, 2004) "I Hate Everything" (No. 35, 2005) "I Saw God Today" (No. 33, 2008) "The Best Day" (No. 31, 2000) "Write This Down" (No. 27, 1999) "Living and Living Well" (No. 27, 2002) "She'll Leave You With a Smile" (No. 23, 2002)
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.