Guess Who's Skipping Houston This Time?
Attention local musicians, music bloggers and music organizations: have something that should be included in Magnolia City Mixtape? Leave a comment below or email brittanie.shey (at) houstonpress (dot) com.
• The Caprolites soothe our summer boredom with their new video for "I Need A lot," above.
• Craig Hlavaty and MCM mused after Sunday night's Lady Gaga show that the singer was likely to afterparty it up at Dirt Bar. She wasn't there Sunday night, but she did go Monday, according to Culturemap. Sunday night she apparently had dinner post-concert at Spanish Flowers.
• Warrior Spirit, reportedly America's first band composed entirely of wounded veterans, is looking for some new members, specifically musically inclined (and injured) veterans of Operations Iraqi Freedom and Enduring Freedom. The group is holding open-mike auditions at its Military Appreciation Night this evening in House of Blues' Bronze Peacock Room. There's also a raffle. No cover; doors open at 7 p.m.
Mas Musica! featuring La Gusana Ciega, Porter, Siddhartha
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 6:00pm
Nothing But Thieves presented by Ones To Watch
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 7:00pm
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats
TicketsMon., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
THALIA - Latina Love Tour
TicketsMon., Oct. 3, 8:00pm
TicketsTue., Oct. 4, 7:00pm
• Haley Barnes plays her concert uke in a BackSeat Jukebox concert with Sergio Trevino of Buxton to her right. Barnes is rumored to have a cameo on Buxton's next record.
• Lower Dens, featuring former Houstonian Jana Hunter, "experiment with a broad range of tones, all in the service of atmosphere." The band's new album, Twin-Hand Movement, got an 8.1 on the Pitchfork scale.
• Oh goody! Guided by Voices are playing their reunion tour in Austin, and recently announced that Dallas will be the opening date on the tour, but they're not coming to Houston. At all.
• Sister blog in Dallas DC-9 at Night writes about their love for Pearland's own The Judy's.
• Holy shit! New old stock! Cactus has acquired a private collection of still unsealed, mint LPs the store is planning on slowly trickling onto shelves in the coming weeks.
We could sort of pick up this AM station out of Dallas that had a metal show on Sunday nights, and that was the greatest shit ever as far as I was concerned. Usually, as long as the air was dry enough (which was damn near ever day), and if you were maybe a little lucky, you could probably pick up about half of that show.
• Mercygiver at Nonalignment Pact talks about growing up a music lover in a small town like Abilene.
• It should be pretty obvious that we like The Rolling Stones around here. Above, watch Andrew Karnavas perform their song "Dead Flowers" during a Caroline Session.
• Space City Rock reviews Tambersauro's final release, From the Last Day I Saw You.
• Speaking of punk bands, local group No Resistance is releasing its first album, Gentleman Prefer Bombs.
• This weekend is theMain Street Music Festival at Dean's and Notsuoh. $5 gets you into both venues, featuring Somosuno, Cornbreadd, My Golden Calf and dozens more.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.