Hank Williams Jr.'s Top 10 Patriotic Lyrics
As 2012 reaches the halfway point, one of the most gratifying musical comebacks has been none other than Bocephus himself, Hank Williams Jr. It's not a very long list, either - the Beach Boys, Fiona Apple, and now the late-breaking Blur; we're still not sure Chris Brown and Beach House count as "comebacks."
But this year ol' Rockin' Randall Hank has a new album, Old School New Rules (on his own label, too), which will be in stores next Tuesday. Earlier this spring, he appeared on the CMA Awards with Brad Paisley, and their Old School duet "I'm Gonna Get Drunk and Play Hank Williams All Night Long" has already become a hit on satellite radio. Next year, Hank will celebrate his 50th year as a recording artist, which is impressive because he really doesn't ever seem to age.
Much more significantly, of course, Hank's Facebook page reached 1 million "likes" around Memorial Day weekend. So now besides social media, as far as we can tell Bocephus loves three things: His daddy Hank Sr., raising hell (or "hail"), and the good old U.S. of A.
Out of the three, guess which of Bocephus' songs we chose to spotlight on July 4?
Mas Musica! featuring La Gusana Ciega, Porter, Siddhartha
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 6:00pm
Nothing But Thieves presented by Ones To Watch
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 7:00pm
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats
TicketsMon., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
THALIA - Latina Love Tour
TicketsMon., Oct. 3, 8:00pm
TicketsTue., Oct. 4, 7:00pm
10. "Some high-society lady says, "Is your horse outside?'/ 'No ma'am, he's between my legs, but you're too fat to ride'"
Song: "The American Way" Album: Habits Old & New (1980)
Note: OK, that's not especially patriotic; we just thought it was funny.
9. "Where would we be without Yankees/ Well, we wouldn't be the USA"
Song: "Where Would We Be Without Yankees?" Album: Stormy (1999)
8. "No don't put us down or talk about our sacred Southern ways/ Our Southern thunder just might roll around and rain out your parade"
Song: "Southern Thunder" Album: Stormy
7. "Lord, you let me get back to my own homeland/ And I'm gonna hold on to her hand"
Song: "All In Alabama" Album: Habits Old & New
6. "You gotta get out and kick up your heels/ And ain't it great to be livin' in the USA"
Song: "Country State of Mind" Album: Montana Cafe (1986)
5. "We're from North California and South Alabam'/ And little towns all over this land/ And we can skin a buck; we can run a trot-line/ And a country boy can survive"
Song: "A Country Boy Can Survive" Album: The Pressure Is On (1981)
4. "'Cuz the eagle and the bear make a mighty strong pair/ And my advice is don't give us a reason"
Song: "Don't Give Us a Reason" Album: America (The Way I See It) (1990)
3. "You know I love my country, and I'm not one to complain/ But there's a lot of us that feel like we've been left out here/ Out in the rain"
Song: "Red, White & Pink Slip Blues" Album: 127 Rose Avenue (2009)
2. "But you won't see those refugees headin' the other way/ Welcome to the U.S.A. today"
Song: "U.S.A. Today" Album: Lone Wolf (1990)
1. "Do us all a favor, all you American haters, why don't you move to Mexico tonight?"
Song: "We Don't Apologize for America" Album: Old School New Rules (2012)
Good to see ol' Bocephus is still going strong.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.