Houston Local Musicians Film Video With Dallas Native, Head to Austin for Release
• Fat Tony, Tom Nguyen from The Ton Tons and Kyle Vento from Simple Success teamed up with director Tedric Huff to play the backing band for Dallas artist Angela Carter in the new video for her song "Love Anymore." It looks like they had tons of fun.
• Roky Erickson spent about 30 minutes last week talking to WXPN in Pennsylvania about his recent work with Okkerville River. You can hear the interview on NPR's World Cafe.
• Jeff Balke over at Broken Record talks about Imogen Heap and asks if anyone deserves to make money off music.
• Texas Punk Treasure Chest posts some MP3s from an old 7" from early '90s Houston-based band Junior Varsity, along with a set list from one of the band's shows.
TicketsFri., Dec. 9, 8:00pm
TicketsTue., Dec. 13, 8:00pm
Kelsea Ballerini - The First Time Tour
TicketsWed., Dec. 14, 7:00pm
MIX 96.5 Not So Silent Night with Train and Fitz & the Tantrums
TicketsThu., Dec. 15, 8:00pm
Flosstradamus - Hi Def Youth Tour 2016
TicketsFri., Dec. 16, 8:00pm
• Our friend Marc Brubaker at Houstonist has posted a nice little round-up of all those Free Press Summerfest videos. There are a LOT of them. You might spot yourself.
• Andrew Dansby at The Chron interviews the Carolina Chocolate Drops, whom we'll be seeing Wednesday night at the Mucky Duck.
• The Free Press has a nice little preview of the upcoming Passion pit show Thursday at Warehouse Live.
• Also Thursday, the start of The Houston Symphony's Summer Series at the Miller Theatre.
• A bunch of Houston musicians are artists are headed to Austin Friday for LIMB's CD release. Also featuring Giant Princess, Cosmic Sound, Featherface, B L A C K I E, and Somosuno will also be playing with art installations by up and coming Houston Artists -Chris Fulkerson, Youcomeover, Ghost Machine, James Templeton, and Isaiah Lopez.
• Mrshl at Nonalignment Pact asks "What is Classic Rock? Does Pearl Jam count? 'Cuz their early stuff is almost 20 years old.
• IndieHouston reviews the new release Indescribable Colours from locals Ellypseas. "Indescribable Colours is gritty, live recordings laced together giving it a raw feeling which plays very well with the eclectic sound these guys have developed."
• Apparently Paris Falls' new 7" glows in the dark. Fancy!
Attention local musicians, music bloggers and music organizations: have something that should be included in Magnolia City Mixtape? Leave a comment below or email brittanieshey (at) gmail (dot) com.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.