Houston's 10 Best Places to Dance Off Those Holiday Pounds
Photos by Marco Torres
Note: Because there ain't a whole lot else going on, today Rocks Off is revisiting some of our favorite stories of 2014. Happy Holidays!
Grooving to the beat is all well and good and all, but sometimes when the music burrows deep into your veins, there's only one way to unleash that energy...and that is to get down on it, shake your bombon and boogie. Houston is filled with a plethora of dance meccas, where our fellow citizens go to forget the stress of life and get sweaty on the dance floor, one club anthem at a time.
In order to create this list, we pulled from our own experience of covering the nightlife scene in the H, and also surveyed our social-media friends for their input in order to create a more well rounded selection.
10. LIMELIGHT Sticky Promo has made the valiant attempt to bring back the glory of the former Rich's in Midtown with great success. Whether you hit up Twerk Thursdays, Electric Fridays, or Devious Saturdays, you have your choice of dancing everything from EDM to Hip-Hop alongside your favorite Houston Rocket, Kardashian, or Instagram model of the week.
2401 San Jacinto, limelighthouston.com
9. MIDTOWN DRINKERY Although Friday and Saturday nights are over the top with bros and sorority girls, the Midtown Drinkery, the place redeems itself with one of the most amazing Monday nights you will ever encounter. The Booth Pimps DJ collective holds it down with a nonstop mixing of styles and genres that keeps the floor packed and sweaty.
2400 Bagby, Facebook page
8. CLUB TROPICANA Consistently one of the best Latin clubs in the city, Club Tropicana has recently been renovated and is breathing new life into as Houston's premier salsa club. Tuesday is Ladies Night which includes DJ Gonzo in the mix and free salsa lessons. Orquesta Kadente gets the floor hot on Tropical Thursdays. Noches De Rumba continues with Orquesta Mi Rumba on Friday, and then the week rounds off with Tumbao Clasico on Saturday with Noches de Sabor.
3222 Fondren, clubtropicanahouston.com
List continues on the next page.
Photo by J Tovar
7. THE FLAT This small bar has always been a cool place to hang in Montrose, but ever since DJ Sun and company took over earlier this year, The Flat has been revitalized both aesthetically and entertainment-wise. El Danzon occurs every Thursday night with Gracie Chavez and DJ Navo, with colorful visuals from DJ Exit. Krackernuttz DJs Klinch and Dayta bring you That Good Good on Friday nights, which is by far the busiest night of the week. And stay tuned for the MFAH Mixed Media after parties which bring in legendary DJs such as Stretch Armstrong and acts like Dâm Funk.
1701 Commonwealth, theflathouston
Photo by Kristen Eide
6, NUMBERS This Montrose institution is best-known for its live shows but when not booked for a concert, it serves as one of Houston's longest running dance meccas. DJ Wes Wallace brings home the nostalgia at the Classic Numbers parties on Friday nights, which includes all '80s jams and vintage, sometimes pre-MTV music videos.
300 Westheimer, numbersnightclub.com
5. FIFTH AMENDMENT This Midtown hot spot provides its fair share of booty-shaking entertainment from Thursday to Sunday. You can catch the supremely talented DJ Mr. Rogers spinning the very best of rap and hip-hop every Thursday night, where at any time you can find Slim Thug, Drake or any number of pro athletes getting their grind on.
2900 Travis, Facebook page
List continues on the next page.
Photo by Marco Torres
4. FOX HOLLOW Another very diverse venue, this off-Washington Avenue club serves as host to Houston's Ultimate Tropical Dance Party called Bombon, every first Saturday of the month. They also hold a hot Friday Night Latin Party that sometimes includes complimentary drinks provided by Hennessy Latino. DJ Big Reeks and The Waxaholics have migrated their weekly Thursday night All Vinyl events to this location. Chocolate Sundays rounds off the week with their vibrant happy hour.
4617 Nett, Facebook page
3. GLORIA'S One of the best salsa nights in Houston takes place at this Midtown restaurant. The dining area converts into a dance floor in the evenings, with Orchestra Salmerum taking over on Thursdays and Saturdays, and Grupo Kache on Friday nights. Take advantage of the free dancing lessons on Thursday nights because you don't want to miss your chance to impress the beautiful Latinas and handsome Latinos who stop by Gloria's in search of a dance partner.
2616 Louisiana, gloriasrestaurants.com
2. BOONDOCKS This Westheimer-curve icon is as diverse as the Montrose neighborhood in which it resides. On any given night you might just dance to the smooth tunes of DJ Flash Gordon Parks, go hard with DJ Sober and DJ Dayta at Top Notch, zone out at Josh Dupont and James Reed's Kinda Super Disco, get TRASHED with GRRRL Parts, or turn up to Blackout with Hyro and Leckie.
Cheap drinks and a loose attitude make this a super chill spot to drink, dance, and people watch. Around 1am, the upstairs dance floor becomes an almost immoveable multitude, so much so that the floor begins to sway up and down with the beat. Good times all around!
1417 Westheimer, Facebook page
Photo by Marco Torres
1. BARBARELLA The Houston version of this popular ATX dance club has only been open for ten months, but it has already established itself as the best place to get down and dance in Midtown. Open 9:30 p.m. until 2 a.m. Wednesday to Saturday, Barbarella can be called a "progressive" dance club," while the owners say it's "a dance club for people who hate dance music."
The impressive elevated dance floor with colorful under-lighting is the spot to be seen as you showcase your moves, whether on Be.Witched Wednesdays, '90s Night Thursdays, New Noise Fridays, and Footloose Sundays.
2404 San Jacinto, barbarellatx.com/houston
Like what you read? Or think you can do better? We'd love for you to join our team.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.