Justin Timberlake's Top 10 Collaborations
Justin Timberlake, the former *NSYNC member, Mouseketeer, and Mr. Britney Spears, will grace H-Town with this dreamy blue eyes and Jacksonesque dance moves as he hits the Toyota Center stage tomorrow. Although JT has always been a star, shining bright as the de facto leader of the world's most popular boy band of the late '90s and early '00s, which carried him into a successful career as a solo artist, the last year has provided a new direction for the Memphis, Tenn. native.
No longer is he the goofy-haired kid singing happy-go-lucky pop hits for the tweens. His image is all mature, sexy, and naughty, dapper with his suit and tie and grownup blonde coif. Yet Justin is still at his best when paired up with an equally cool rapper, singer, producer, or group. Timberlake has seemingly been featured on more tracks with others than most of his contemporaries, almost keeping pace with OutKast's Andre 3000. We present to you the Timberlake Top 10 List of Collaborations & Duets:
10. "Loose Ends"; Sergio Mendes feat. Pharoahe Monch, Justin Timberlake & will.i.am (Timeless, 2006) This album introduced Brazilian legend Sergio Mendes to the American audience. On the smooth "Loose Ends," Justin provides the perfect chorus in between verses from Monch and the Black Eyed-Pea. Check out the album after listening to this track, it's a classic.
9. "Ayo Technology"; 50 Cent feat. Justin Timberlake & Timbaland (Curtis, 2007) This hypnotic track was one of the few highlights from the Queens, N.Y. rapper's third studio album. The seductive nature of the lyrics added to the track's mystique, with Timberlake expressing his distain for technology (cyber-sex?) and wanting the real thing.
8. "Carry Out"; Timbaland feat. Justin Timberlake (Shock Value II, 2009) The Timbaland/Timberlake duo has served as a source of several hits, including this track full of fast food analogies. The first verse features a fun staccato rap where Justin finishes Timbo's sentences. JT also rhymes "errors" with "areas", which is an accomplishment on its own.
7. "My Love"; Justin Timberlake feat. T.I. (FutureSex/LoveSounds, 2006) The coolness of Justin + Tip Harris is almost unbearable in this chopped-up single from JT's widely successful sophomore album. Justin begins with professing his love to the unknown lady, and then T.I. drops in with a rap so lyrically bouncy and convincing, its hard to resist.
6. "Suit & Tie"; Justin Timberlake feat. Jay-Z (The 20/20 Experience, 2013) Robin Thicke may have been doing the dressed-up, R&B-Frank Sinatra thing long before TImberlake, but somehow Justin in a suit became the biggest reinvention of the year. Following a long period of time where JT pursued acting, songwriting, and producing, this Jay/Justin collab also lead to a successful sold-out summer stadium tour (say THAT 10 times fast) and assured the world that Justin was back.
5. "Dick In a Box"; The Lonely Island feat. Justin Timberlake (Incredibad, 2008) A song about a gift that keeps on giving. Smoove R&B mixed with comedy mixed with potential sexual harassment. Genius.
List continues on the next page.
4. "Holy Grail"; Jay-Z feat. Justin Timberlake (Magna Carta... Holy Grail, 2013) For Jay to allow Justin to be the first voice you hear on his album is a big deal. To let him almost overshadow his single with the best vocals Justin has ever produced is amazing. You hear the pain and emotion in this sublime, hard-hitting track. So perfect.
3. SexyBack"; Justin Timberlake feat. Timbaland (FutureSex/LoveSounds, 2006) Get your sexy on! That's the motto we take from JT's breakout single. These were the Autotune/Distortion voice days, and JT's voice certainly sounds robotic and futuristic. The track spent several weeks atop of the Billboard charts, and went on to be certified three-times platinum.
2. "Signs", Snoop Dogg feat. Charlie Wilson & Justin Timberlake (R&G... Rhythm & Gangsta: The Masterpiece, 2004) This funky track combines The Doggfather's smoky, smooth, splendid raps with the sweet-voiced, baby-faced Timberlake on the hook. So much fun, so danceable, and extremely vibrant. Oooh-wee!
1. "Where Is The Love?"; The Black-Eyed Peas (Monkey Business/Elephunk, 2009)
Although he went uncredited on this track, JT's voice is unmistakable on the chorus. This song calls attention to the lack of love in a world of drama, terrorism, gangs and discrimination. The Trill OG Bun B even performed it during his historic performance with The Houston Symphony last month. The Beatles said "all you need is love"; this track reminds us of this.
ROCKS OFF'S GREATEST HITS
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.