Mail Call: What's in the Crate?
It's one of God's little jokes that no matter how hard we try, we really can only do one thing at a time. Certain tasks always seem to get relegated to the back burner, and for Rocks Off, for some reason, it's the mail. I think it has something to do with believing that as long as you don't open a bill, it's OK not to pay it. Ask Ford Credit about that one.
Anyhow, from time to time I do clear out the crates, and I thought it would be fun to keep a record here. This is what's come across the transom in the past two or three weeks, so all you publicists can relax. I do get around to opening the mail eventually. See below for the key to all those funny letters.
Worth a Damn (Maybe)
* Girl Talk, Feed the Animals (Warehouse Live, Oct. 18) I-D * Portugal the Man, Censored Colors (Meridian, Oct. 18) I Capricorns, River, Bear Your Bones Brit-M Subways, All or Nothing Brit-Pu-R I Am Ghost, Those We Leave Behind Pu-R-M Blood Ceremony, Blood Ceremony I-E-R The Sea & Cake, Car Alarm Exp-I-R-J Bill Madden, Child of the Same God I-F-R ** Ani DiFranco, Red Letter Year I-F-Pu * Walter Meego, Voyager (Rudyard's, Oct. 4) I-D-R People in Planes, Beyond the Horizon Brit-I-R Lee Ritenour and Dave Grusin, Amparo J * Spiritualized, Songs in A&E (Meridian, Sept. 26) R-E-Psy
Patty Loveless, Sleepless Nights C-BG
* All That Remains, Overcome (House of Blues, Nov. 30) M
Natalie Cole, Still Unforgettable P-J-RB
** The Shondes, The Red Sea I-E-Pu
Taj Mahal, Maestro B
Wreckless Eric & Amy Rigby, Wreckless Eric & Amy Rigby (The Mink, Sept. 14) I-F-R
* The Stills, Oceans Will Rise (Verizon Wireless Theater, Oct. 28) R
Parts & Labor, Receivers I-E-R
Catfish Haven, Devastator I-P-B
** Frontier Brothers, Spacepunk Starlet I-C-F-R
The Game, LAX Rap
Castanets, City of Refuge I-E-R
B.B. King, One Kind Favor B
* Of Montreal, Skeletal Lamping (Warehouse Live, Nov. 12) I-E-F-P
Worth a Damn (Maybe)... to Somebody Else
* New Monsoon, V (Warehouse Live, Sept. 20) R-P * Sing It Loud, Come Around (House of Blues, Nov. 9) P-Pu-R Various Artists, The Rough Guide to Latin Lounge P-L-J Various Artists, Seprewa Kasa W Kreesha Turner, Don't Call Me Baby... The Remixes P-RB-D Luke Denton, Luke Denton F-R Akim el Sikameya, Introducing Akim el Sikameya W ** Dar Williams, Promised Land F-P * BLVD, Music for People (Club DubDub, Oct. 4) I-D * Mickey Hart & Zakir Hussein, Global Drum Project (Cullen Theater, Oct. 19) W * Jessica Lea Mayfield, With Blasphemy So Heartfelt (Meridian, Sept. 30) I-F-P Josh Rouse, The Best of the Ryko Years F-R-P Dub Colossus, A Town Called Addis Re-W Bette Midler, Jackpot: The Best Bette P-J
Jay K, All Aboard the Obama Train F-R-C-B * Mechanical Boy, Play Along P-R (Fitzgerald's, Sept. 12) Kenny Rogers, 50 Years C Moodafaruka, Essential Moodafaruka; Who R U? RB-L-J-W Kristine Mills, Playing With the Big Boys - Live! J-P-B Solange Knowles, Sol-Angel and the Hadley St. Dreams P-D-RB Oppressed by the Line, Soft Focus I-E-Psy
Not So Much
* Jackopierce, Promise of Summer (Warehouse Live, Oct. 11) F-P * New Kids on the Block, The Block (Toyota Center, Oct. 16) P-D Stephen Pearcy, Under My Skin P-R-M
The Sound of Animals Fighting, The Ocean & the Sun I-E-F Shawn Lee & Clutchy Hopkins, Clutch of the Tiger I-Rap * I Set My Friends on Fire, You Can't Spell Slaughter Without Laughter (Javajazz, Dec. 6) Fools & Horses, I Am the Ghost I-P-R Mark Sinnis, Into an Uncertain Future F-C * Delta Spirit, Ode to Sunshine (Walter's on Washington, Sept. 11) I-R-RB Mad Buffalo, Wilderness R-C-F
Get Thrashed: The Story of Thrash Metal M 924 Gilman St.: Let's Talk About Tact and Timing Pu
We'll do this again soon - as soon as we let the mail pile up again. Now on to the next step - actually listening to some of these things... - Chris Gray
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.