More Local Music News Than Half-Price Deals At Cactus
Another week, another teeming cup runneth over, full of local music news. Here's our latest installment of Magnolia City Mixtape.
This week's soundtrack comes from Roosh Williams, whose Common Struggles of a Modern Man album just dropped. Roosh also has a video for the track "No Hard Feelings" and will be opening up the Yelawolf show at Warehouse Live tonight.
First things first - Cactus Music is offering $20 in merchandise (new and "previously loved") as part of the Houston Press' ongoing "Deal of the Day" promotion. Even better, you have all weekend to sign up.
There's a lot coming up on the calendar. At Arena Theatre tonight, the (formerly) drunken saint of country music, George Jones, strolls into the round. Meanwhile, Weird Party plays their first show since New Year's Eve when they open for Black Lips at Fitz. Finally, Ke$ha will get sleazy at Verizon this evening.
- Saturday, The Energy unleash their second album, Get Split, with a show at Rudyard's. Austin's OBN III's (that's pronounced 'oh bee en threes') are on the bill, and are worth the cover on their own.
- Holy Fiction and The Sour Notes each have sets at Cactus Music on Saturday, but the big news is that Steve Earle will be playing a set on Tuesday evening.
- Buzzfest is back on Sunday, with Jane's Addiction headlining the daylong festival in The Woodlands. Master P also returns to Houston on Sunday.
- Donald Glover, aka Childish Gambino, aka Troy Barnes from the show Community, brings his rap game to Warehouse on Tuesday. Honus Honus' and his troupe of noisemakers, Man Man, drop into Fitzgerald's.
- Arcade Fire returns to the suburbs on Wednesday when they play in The Woodlands. Austin soundscapers Explosions In The Sky will kick off the show.
- The Jon Spencer Blues Explosion hits Warehouse on Thursday.
World Famous Gospel Brunch
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 1:30pm
Mas Musica! featuring La Gusana Ciega, Porter, Siddhartha
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 6:00pm
Nothing But Thieves presented by Ones To Watch
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 7:00pm
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats
TicketsMon., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
THALIA - Latina Love Tour
TicketsMon., Oct. 3, 8:00pm
Vice has a really cool video feature on Bun B, part of their Noisey series. Spend some time with it and ignore those TPS reports.
Jon Read reports that The Wiggins will have an album out on Team Science! Records this summer.
Here's a teaser for new stuff from B L A C K I E. Looks like the new album may be called True Spirit and Not Giving a Fuck.
Slow Motion Rider isn't dead and gone, in fact they launched a four-song preview of their forthcoming album, due out in June from the Committee to Keep Music Evil & Rabbit Hole Records. There's a download link posted on HUH, too.
Jett I. Masstyr premiered a new instrumental track, "Everlasting Cloud".
Squincy Jones tackles Juvenile in this week's Screwed Tuesday post.
Otenki posted the title track from their upcoming album Kinetic to their site.
Rob Jay dropped his Rap Phenomenon mixtape.
Paul Wall shows up with a feature on this Ghostwridah track, "Bandwagon".
Here are some new tunes from Saviour Group as well. Expect a full band release from the group in July.
Trae, who might have completely omitted sleep from his schedule in order to provide more time for hustling, has brought his animated self back for more adventures. This new episode of The Adventures of Trae Tha Truth features Rick Ross saying "boss" a bunch and the gang playing with a time machine.
KeepItTrill.com has some footage of Trae performing at the Austin Music Hall during SXSW - at our very own Village Voice Media party.
Got music news? Send it to marc dot brubaker at gmail dot com.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.