Musicians' Five Greatest Drunken Moments
Florence Welch, sans tequila, at Bayou Music Center in May 2012
Photo by Marc Brubaker
For better or worse, I recently began to think about my last three birthdays in a row and realized that I've been blackout drunk throughout all three. It's not something I do often, but when my friends and I get together for a special occasion, it turns into something akin to The Hangover.
Which I guess is why I can relate so well to Florence Welch of Florence + The Machine fame. Back in July, the British singer known for both her album Lungs and her actual lungs found herself the subject of a viral video wherein she sings Daft Punk's "Get Lucky" after downing more than a few tequila shots.
It's a great alcohol-induced moment featuring a famous musician, and bad karaoke is something to which I'm sure we can all relate. That being said, it simply joins a pantheon of great drunken moments featuring famous musicians. Here are five of the best.
5. WASP's Chris Holmes in The Decline of Western Civilization Part II: The Metal Years You might question my taste in including this one. After all, Holmes makes a fool of himself in front of his mother and proudly proclaims he's going to die of his alcoholism. It's almost a PSA, and sort of a downer. That is until you find out he planned the whole thing.
According to an AV Club interview with Decline II director Penelope Spheeris, Holmes came up with the whole setup and asked Spheeris to film him that way. She also admits that she faked the film's infamous scene with Ozzy Osbourne, which casts a lot of doubt on Holmes' scene as well. With that in mind, it plays more like a goof and it's a whole lot funnier.
Sabrina Carpenter: The De-Tour
TicketsSun., Jul. 30, 7:00pm
I Love The 90's: The Party Continues Tour
TicketsSun., Jul. 30, 7:30pm
2 Chainz - Pretty Girls Like Trap Music Tour 2017
TicketsFri., Aug. 4, 7:00pm
TicketsSat., Aug. 5, 8:00pm
Summer Slaughter Tour
TicketsMon., Aug. 7, 2:00pm
4. Mariah Carey Accepts an Award In 2010, Mariah Carey had a fantastic acting role in the film Precious. She also had this fantastic drunken moment while accepting an award for Breakthrough Actress at the Palm Springs International Film Festival.
She admits to it early in the speech, then rambles about her involvement with the film, her infatuation with the book the film was based on, and Helen Mirren. The best line though has to be, "you can take my make-up off but I don't look like that bitch from The Thing!" You sure don't, Mariah.
3. Liam Gallagher at Wembley Liam Gallagher's antics in Oasis were almost more famous than the band themselves. Certainly his drunken rants often overshadowed the band, to the point where NME seems to report on a new one every day even now.
So leave it to Liam to show up completely pissed to a live broadcast of Oasis performing at Wembley Arena in front of literally thousands of fans. The performance was a mess, but luckily intrepid fans have cut the whole thing down to just Liam yelling about things, which is absolutely amazing to watch in its seven whole minutes.
List continues on the next page.
2. Kanye West Wrestles with Demons We Were Once a Fairytale is a short film Spike Jonze made for Kanye West's song "See You In My Nightmares." Does it count for this list since a film about Kanye being drunk, rather than Kanye truly being drunk? Well, I'm going to say it does because Kanye makes such a convincing case of his iniebriation that he should win an Academy Award if he hadn't had at least a few shots before the filming.
In the video, Kanye walks around a club, making a total ass of himself while wasted, trying poorly to pick up girls and yelling about how his song is playing. Then it gets weird and he kills a demon. Anyway, if you want to see Kanye really drunk, just watch him crash the stage during Taylor Swift's acceptance speech once again. Which leads us to No. 1...
1. Ol' Dirty Bastard Crashes the Grammys Long before Kanye had become infamous for jumping on stages, before Kanye was even a celebrity, there was Ol' Dirty Bastard of the Wu-Tang Clan. Known for getting pretty damn wasted almost every day (and ultimately dying of a drug overdose unfortunately), ODB was drunk and furious at the Grammy Awards in 1998 when Diddy beat Wu-Tang for Best Rap Album.
It didn't take long before he was up on stage (while Shawn Colvin was receiving an award), yelling incomprehensibly about Diddy being good and Wu-Tang being for the children. In my book, it's one of the best Grammy moments ever, and I still quote "Wu-Tang is for the children" to this day in various contexts. Thanks, ODB.
Just as great, though, is ODB's legendary MTV interview, where he swills vodka and goes to pick up food stamps for his many children in a limo.
ROCKS OFF'S GREATEST HITS
Top 10 Bars, Clubs & Ice Houses On the Northside Daddy, Why Is Numbers Called Numbers? The Top Five Most Disastrous Musician Interviews Ever The 10 Suckiest Bands of the '00s Top 10 Bars, Clubs & Ice Houses In the Galleria Area
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.