New Local Rap From A Madman, A Menace And A Monster
"No Hard Feelings" from Roosh Williams & friends.
Back around the time the first Ask A Rapper column was running (June 2009), Rocks Off had a conversation with an out-of-town publicist who was trying to get her out-of-town act an interview for the spot. When told that AAR was reserved for Houston rappers, she responded with, "You're going to run out of rappers real fast if you're only going to use Houston rappers."
We defended our own in a completely professional and classy manner - something along the lines of "Get bent" - but shortly thereafter admitted to no one in particular that she might be right.
Of course, that fear lasted all of about 15 seconds, before we realized that, at any given point on any given day, roughly 9,000 Houston rappers are ready to answer questions about Justin Bieber, NCAA football, KRS-One or whatever. This has become clearer with each passing week, as Rocks Off has apparently garnered a reputation for being the place to try to get your music posted if you're looking to receive any kind of proper commentary on its quality of it.
So it looks like these mailbag dumps will be more and more a regular thing. This week, we've got music from a madman, a menace, a monster and more.
- New music from Roosh Williams featuring Killa Kyleon and Renzo ("No Hard Feelings")
, cool as much for being an interesting song as it is for the fact that all three of the rappers are at three very different (and distinct) levels of their respective careers.
- Here's music from A.D.D. ("Relax"), who is penciled in to participate in an upcoming Ask A Rapper column about video games and whatnot. FYI: If you're a rapper and name one of your songs after a Street Fighter character, as A.D.D. did with his "E. Honda Freestyle" track, you can expect to hear from us asking for an interview.
- Trae and Alabama's Yelawolf linked up for a track that might be the year's best song thus far that prominently features fluttering flute, "Shit I've Seen."
- Farris and Himself team up on a self-titled EP that answers the "Hey, What's The Weirdest Rap You Heard This Week?" question. Good stuff. Give it a proper listen. It's particularly effective if you listen to it while you ride a bike. Or smoke pot.
- Rob Jay uses his wintry "Generational Curse"
to prove that he doesn't need to rely on the benefit of nostalgia to produce a track that you should have in your iPod. Like that guy.
- Introducing R&B singer Markus Polk. ("It's Just Me," feat. Pain-Woo & Lil Cheenk)
Sometimes, when we're trying to search for someone on the Internet that we've never heard of, we worry that we'll accidentally listen to a bunch of music from someone that isn't who we thought they were. For example, there are about nine different J-Dawgs. There was no such concern when we were searching out T.H.E. MisFit Crazy8 (right). Wacky names are a bitch to type with any semblance of speed, but they make locating someone a lot easier.
- K.A.B. the Monster, who you'll most likely find roaming around SF2 North on Sunday evenings looking for rapper carcasses to feed on, makes his first proper showing in The Mailbag with "Nights 2 Days,"
a menacing, freestyle-friendly track that's almost certainly produced by someone living within reasonable driving distance of any Houstonian.
- How is it that nobody is talking about the tape that Zilla released at the end of Decemeber? Grab it here for free.
- Quick: How many songs do you think we were sent this week that were titled "Showin' Naked Ass"
? Did you say zero? Well, thanks to Blueboy, you're off by one.
- Whoops, wait. You're off by two, thanks to Show (and Lil Keke). Listen to his Real Rap... tape when you can. It's here. And it's fun.
- This very well might not have been meant for your ears just yet, but here's "Another Plan" by Under Gravity, who you can see performing at the One Mic hip-hop show's two-year anniversary concert Saturday at Groundhall. Fingers-crossed that FLOSS shows up with his rock band in tow.
Mas Musica! featuring La Gusana Ciega, Porter, Siddhartha
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 6:00pm
Nothing But Thieves presented by Ones To Watch
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 7:00pm
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats
TicketsMon., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
THALIA - Latina Love Tour
TicketsMon., Oct. 3, 8:00pm
TicketsTue., Oct. 4, 7:00pm
Thank you for your support. Continue to send music to sheaserrano(at)gmail(dot)com.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.