Post KTRU/KUHF, Possible Houston Mergers & Acquisitions To Come
Gozer has designs on the Galleria.
Photo illustrations by John Seaborn Gray
Rice University and the University of Houston have reached a deal to convert KTRU into a 24-hour white-noise station to help our city's insomniacs. Fitzgerald's was just bought out by the guys who made Mango's a viable venue for the first time since its days as The Oven.
It seems a lot of Houston properties are changing hands these days. What's next? Thanks to our vast underground network of spies, Rocks Off has received early warning of several upcoming ownership transfers around the Bayou City.
- Dean's Credit Clothing has been purchased by the Value Village chain and will re-open as such some time next year. Bands will still be encouraged to play the venue, albeit from a small riser in the corner by the cracked dinnerware and old Atari games.
- By October, Feast will be a Kenny Rogers Roasters franchise. No word yet on the luminosity of their neon sign.
- KUHT has been bought by Ted Turner and will be showing movies made before the Great Depression. Fans of Carole Lombard and Frederic March, take heart! Also, take your heart medicine.
- Numbers has been bought out by the Pappas chain and will be the testing ground for an experimental chicken-and-seafood-themed restaurant, Pappa Oom Mow Mow. Surf 'n' bird, get it?
- Lakewood Church will be the new headquarters of the Houston branch of the Church of Scientology just in time for Christmas. This is good news for everyone who wants to be "clear." We want to be "clear," don't you? It sounds great.
- The Edwards Marquee IMAX has been sold to Texas Instruments, which will convert the big screen to a crude, outdated, two-color layout, yet will charge over $100 apiece for tickets.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.