Rap's Top Five Dedication Songs
The hip-hop world is a less than sensible place - lots of times, you're even required to clarify when bad means bad and when bad means good - so once a week we're going to get with a rapper and ask them to explain things. Have something you always wanted to ask a rapper? Email it to email@example.com.
This Week's Rapper: Jay Young
This Week's Subject(s): Dedication tracks
World Famous Gospel Brunch
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 1:30pm
Mas Musica! featuring La Gusana Ciega, Porter, Siddhartha
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 6:00pm
Nothing But Thieves presented by Ones To Watch
TicketsSun., Oct. 2, 7:00pm
Nathaniel Rateliff and the Night Sweats
TicketsMon., Oct. 3, 7:00pm
THALIA - Latina Love Tour
TicketsMon., Oct. 3, 8:00pm
Ask A Rapper: All right, sir. So we've got some interview questions for you -- actually, it's really just one question that requires multiple responses. So here's what's up:
Did you see that Eminem let leak a track he dedicated to Proof, his friend who passed away a few years ago? If you didn't, you can hear it here. Anyway, so the question is this: Name your five favorite "I Dedicate This To My Friend/Family Member Who Died" tracks.
As always, extra credit is given to any Houston picks that make the list.
Jay Young: I would have to say:
1. UGK, "One Day": [This] has hit close to home on a few occasions. I got homies that I may have been chilling with one day and the next day - or in some cases a couple of hours later - I get a call telling me they're gone. Songs and instances like that remind me of how short life is.
2. Tupac, "Life Goes On": I remember jamming a lot of Pac when my father passed. I was trying to use music to help me cope with his death, and "Life Goes On" was one of the main songs I would jam daily during this time period
3. Fat Pat, "Miss Our G's": I just always got this eerie feeling listening to this song, knowing Fat Pat never got to live to see the release of that album.
4. Master P feat. Pimp C, "I Miss My Homies"
5. DRS, "Gangsta Lean": [This] is like the perfect R.I.P. song. I think I was in 6th grade when this song came out and my potna's older brother got killed and I remember all his homies banging this song in they rides after the funeral. There are more songs that come to me but those are 5 tracks that stood out to me.
Follow Jay Young on Twitter at @JAtotheYYoung.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.