Shakira And Music's Eight Other Hottest Bellybuttons
Shakira shimmies into town tonight at Toyota Center, and frankly, she's pretty much the only artist Rocks Off regrets having to miss while we're in Austin covering ACL. Say what you will about her caterwauling voice and her corny foreign-ness. There's something so playfully goofy about Shakira that we absolutely love her.
Long before the She Wolf was playing stadium shows in big American cities, the part-Lebanese performer had learned belly dancing as a teenager. Her moves helped her otherwise awkwardly-shot video (and odd lyrics) for the song "Whenever, Wherever" propel her to mainstream U.S. fame. Even fans who don't like her unusual voice can't deny her hips don't lie.
In honer of her appearance tonight, Rocks Off came up with a list of some of the best belly buttons in music. And if you're headed to the show tonight, remember, keep your eyes on the hands.
8. Beyoncé: Houston's favorite daughter teamed up with Shakira for "Hips Don't Lie" and it looks like Shakira taught Bey a thing or two about shaken' it.
7. Billy Idol: Billy Idol was hot in the '80s. We saw him come through Houston a few months ago and he's still hot as ever. Maybe hotter.
6. Fiona Apple: Frankly, we were a little hesitant to include Fiona on this list because of her admitted history with eating disorders, but the chick is proud of her stomach, as evidence by the many, many pictures of her in belly shirts on the internet. Hell, just watch the first minute of "Criminal," wherein her navel is prominently featured.
5. Iggy Pop: Seriously. This man is 63 years old.
4. Wendy O'Williams: The hypersexual lead singer of the Plasmatics had a body people pay millions for. She was also a devout vegetarian.
3. Morrissey: Not exactly Mr. Sex, we know, but dozens of his fans swooned last year when the Moz went shirtless at his Jones Hall show. He bulked up for the cover of his album Refusal, but even 18 years ago he still looked svelte on the cover of Your Arsenal.
2. Madonna: No, we're not talking eight-hours-of-Pilates-a-day Madonna. We're talking "Lucky Star" Madonna, when there was just a hint of softness there.
1. D'Angelo: Sorry? What did you say? We were a little distracted. Unless you want all your fantasies about what the camera's not showing ruined, we wouldn't recommend Googling the stud's most recent mugshot.
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene with music features, additional online music listings and show picks. We'll also send special ticket offers and music promotions available only to our Music Newsletter subscribers.