SXSW Extra: What's In My Pockets?
Good thing I didn't wear my skinny jeans...
I’ve never been a big fan of the SXSW tote bags, decorated though they are by noted artists like Mike Judge and Daniel Johnston. I think they scream “tourist,” and save the odd lighter or notepad, there’s never much in there worth keeping. Consequently, my pockets were beyond full about an hour after I got to the Convention Center. The haul:
• Business cards from “Quickie” mentor session: On Target Media, Austin singer-songwriter Kent Mayhew, Dallas’ “I Got Soul” music conference, June 13-15; Andrew Demarest, Black & White PR and Supersuckers tour manager.
• Flyer, the Crack Pipes – one of my favorite gut-busting Austin blues-punk bands. Their only show this week is 3 p.m. tomorrow at Spider House behind Ruby’s BBQ on Guadalupe.
Guns N' Roses: Not In This Lifetime?
TicketsFri., Aug. 5, 8:30pm
Russ: Did It My Way Tour
TicketsSat., Aug. 6, 6:00pm
World Famous Gospel Brunch at House of Blues Houston
TicketsSun., Aug. 7, 1:30pm
TicketsSun., Aug. 7, 8:00pm
The Noise Presents: Periphery - Sonic Unrest Tour
TicketsTue., Aug. 9, 6:00pm
• Emo’s laminated badge – according to my friend Sean O’Neal, Onion Austin City Editor (their party is at Emo's tomorrow), attaching any other laminate to the official SXSW lanyard renders it invalid. Territorial much?
• Postcard, Robin Danar’s Altered States CD – A producer I met at the Quickie (boy that sounds weird) who recorded Morning Becomes Eclectic-beloved artists like Pete Yorn, Rachael Yamagata, Gary Jules and Inara George for his “movie soundtrack CD without a movie.”
• SXSW “Official Party” envelopes – full of goodies like a complimentary drink ticket at the Music Registrant’s Lounge, flyers for the Canadian Blast BBQ and the “Full Irish Breakfast” tomorrow at B.D. Riley’s, postcard for Jansport and Team Clermont’s “Offical SXSW College Party” with the Shout Out Louds and Rogue Wave, plus a one-year complimentary subscription to Spin. Yay!
• Flyer, Team Grizzly Records day party – I met Florida-based Team Grizzly owner Dan at the Quickie (again, I'm glad I can stop typing that). The party is 2-6 p.m. today through Saturday on some patio at 27th & Guadalupe; Dan says tomorrow, with Look Mexico, Band Marino (!), Clock Hands Strangle and the Oaks, is the day to go.
• City of Austin parking ticket – Street parking does have it’s drawbacks, like when you’re watching the Raveonettes instead of feeding the meter. Can I expense this? – Chris Gray
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.