Ten Musicians Who Did Time On Broadway
Ricky Martin on Broaway in Evita
Broadway has been known to make both actors and singers into legends. However, due to what is known as stunt casting -- which is essentially gimmickry in order to gain ticket sales -- some musicians have headed to Broadway, if only for a short period of time. Here are some of the musical artists from various genres that have heeded the call of the Great White Way.
10. Sebastian Bach For a man known for having a rather larger-than-life personality and, it seemed well-fitting that the former Skid Row frontman would play the title role of Jekyll and Hyde in Jekyll and Hydefor six months in 2000. Bach also took on the role of Riff Raff in The Rocky Horror Show in 2001.
9. Nick Jonas Before he was known as a member of the Jonas Brothers band and Nick Jonas and the Administration, Jonas was a musical theater actor. Since age 7, he's starred in Annie Get Your Gun, Beauty and the Beast as well as served as a replacement most recently in How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying as J. Pierrepoint Finch. For someone who is only nearing 20, that's pretty accomplished.
8. Billie Joe Armstrong Though American Idiot is based off a Green Day album of the same name, that didn't stop lead singer Billie Joe Armstrong from fulfilling the role of St. Jimmy. Though he only played the role for 50 performances, it is probably the performance that most theatergoers that aren't your typical Green Day fans that will forever mark Armstrong in the theater community. 7. Melissa Etheridge In 2011, Etheridge took on a week-long engagement in American Idiot, a musical based off the Green Day album of the same name. Etheridge filled the role of St. Jimmy.
Sabrina Carpenter: The De-Tour
TicketsSun., Jul. 30, 7:00pm
I Love The 90's: The Party Continues Tour
TicketsSun., Jul. 30, 7:30pm
2 Chainz - Pretty Girls Like Trap Music Tour 2017
TicketsFri., Aug. 4, 7:00pm
TicketsSat., Aug. 5, 8:00pm
Summer Slaughter Tour
TicketsMon., Aug. 7, 2:00pm
6. Reba McEntire In 2001, McEntire received positive reviews for her role as the famous gunslinger Annie Oakley in Annie Get Your Gun. Reba played to 97% sold out halls during her run. In fact, when her run ended as Annie, actress/occasional country artist Crystal Bernard.
5. Deborah Gibson Shortly after her career as a teen idol faded in the mid-'90s, Deborah returned to her roots: musical theater. Not only did she star in a London's West End production of Grease as Sandy, she also starred on Broadway as Eponine in Les Miserables in 1993. Gibson then took on a year stint as Belle in Beauty and the Beast in 1997.
4. Dee Snider Though he will always be known as the lead singer of Twisted Sister, in 2010 Snider took on an eleven-week run in Rock Of Ages as nightclub owner Dennis. This year, he released Dee Does Broadway, a Broadway covers album with a rock twist. 3. Lance Bass In 2007, the former N-Sync member signed on for a six-month stint to play Baltimore television host Corny Collins in the hit Broadway musical Hairspray.
2. Toni Braxton When Grammy-winning Toni Braxton took on the lead role of Belle in Disney's Broadway adaptation of Beauty and the Beast it was a historical first for Disney. Braxton was the first-ever African American woman to be cast in the famous lead role. Lyricists Tim Rice and Alan Menken, added a new song to Beauty and the Beast for her called "A Change In Me"
1. Ricky Martin Though he was a major international pop star in the late '90s and early 2000's, Martin is currently taking on a new role on Broadway: Che in Andrew Lloyd Webber's Evita. According to Playbill.com, Martin's performance will be extended due to a seven performance weekly schedule this September.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.