Ten Unexpected Rap Love Songs
There's nothing better than a great love ballad to make you think of that special someone and smile.
Love songs are meant to be beautiful and heartfelt expressions to let that person know how you really feel. Rap songs are bit different because although they come from the same place of sincerity, they are delivered differently, especially if they're coming from some of the dope boys and toughest guys to ever get on a mike.
We're not talking the usual Drake and Kanye emo-rap that compels you to send out that drunk text, either. It's nice and awkwardly cute to know that some rappers who would normally scare the shit out of you have a little soft spot for someone out there. Here's a list of ten unexpected rap love songs.
10. Shyne feat. Barrington Levy, "Bonnie and Shyne" Shyne was a Bad Boy artist who lived up to the label's name. He did it all, from rapping about drugs to carrying 22s. He even ended up doing time in jail for a shooting involving Diddy and others in a New York nightclub.
On his self-titled debut album in 2000, Shyne chooses a beat sampling Grace Jones' "La Vie En Rose" and calls the song "Bonnie and Shyne." How cool is it to hear Shyne rap about a woman in a remotely romantic fashion? This song still gets a party going too.
9. 50 Cent, "21 Questions" 50 Cent's debut album Get Rich or Die Trying was critically acclaimed as one of the best albums of 2003. His single "21 Questions" was our first inkling that 50 had a heart inside of that incredibly buff chest of his. This song spawned the ever-so-popular line, "I love you like a fat kid loves cake." Doesn't that alone just make you want to say "Awww"?
8. Ghostface Klllah feat. Carl Thomas and Raekwon "Never Be The Same Again" Wu-Tang's Ghostface Killah has made a few love songs, but this one from his Bulletproof Wallets album stood out in particular because of the dramatic-ass video. It opens with Ghostface dropping a bottle of Crown Royal to the ground after getting the news that his wife (played by Lisa Raye) is cheating on him.
There's also an epic family court case in which he wears a powder-blue bathrobe and a gold eagle cuff to the courtroom, where Mills Lane plays the judge. The chorus is done by Mr. Emotional himself, Carl Thomas. This song is just automatically amazing.
7. Notorious B.I.G. "Me and My Bitch"
The late, great Notorious B.I.G. poured his heart out while telling this tragic love story on debut album Ready to Die Biggie raps about the ups and downs of having a woman who will be by his side no matter what.
6. Slim Thug, "My Bitch"
H-town's own Slim Thug lets us know what kind of ride-or-die woman he has. She keeps his blunts rolled and clothes ironed for the club. She makes bail and even helps him hit a few licks. Thugga has found real love with this one -- we're super-happy for him.
5. DMX feat. Faith Evans, "How's it Goin Down"
We all know that DMX likes to yell and bark. It's been 15 years since he's been a multiplatinum rap superstar yet he still manages to make me nervous on reality television. In 1998, he made a song about his relationship with a lovely lady named Tamika, where he expresses his feelings and how he needs her to deliver drugs for him.
It's DMX, so this is as close to love you can get. This song will always make you reminisce about summer.
4. Master P feat. Mia X and Mo B. Dick, "Thinkin' About You" Master P was known best for slangin' dope and CDs. He even says so in this song: "I gotta do what I gotta/ Even if it takes us selling CDs and narcotics."
So if a love song from him is less than likely, one beautiful day P decided to team up with Mia X to tell a story about being down for whatever. In the beginning of the track, she sings about the feds kicking in the door, so you know what happened next. A hustler's love story is always touching.
3. Ja Rule feat. Vita and Lil Mo, "Put it On Me"
This song came came out before 50 Cent made us never look at Ja Rule the same; Ja was a versatile rapper/singer and no one had a problem with it. This song topped charts and stole hearts as Vita shared her story of always being a down chick, and Lil Mo harmonized with Rule to seal the sincerity.
2. Lil Boosie feat. Trina, "Miss Kissin On You"
Lil Boosie joined rapper Trina to let us know he wants that old thang back. This song is incredible. Boosie Bad Azz admits to missing a girl, kissing her, and the fact that he can't stop thinking about her. We never would have imagined that one.
1. Plies ft. Ne-Yo "Bust It Baby Pt. 2"
Plies' cover art for his album Definition of Real would never make someone think it contains a sentimental ballad featuring Ne-Yo called "Bust it Baby." Plies still isn't exactly a Romeo here, but this is as good as is gets from this goon. He even mentions marriage "If I wasn't married to the streets, it would be you."
He really knows how to make the ladies swoon.
Get the Music Newsletter