The Five Best Ways to See George Strait This Weekend
George Strait at Reliant Stadium, March 2013
Photo by Daniel Kramer
George Strait trivia time: do you know the second-to-last place King George will have ever played as a regular touring artist? If you had the Dodge Arena in Hidalgo Thursday night, you win, but sadly we still can't help you get tickets to the grand finale tomorrow night in Arlington's AT&T Stadium.
Even now, Strait's covered wagons are probably making their way from the Rio Grande Valley to North Texas for as bittersweet a moment as true-blue Texas country music fans have ever seen, one that just about every single person who has ever cut a rug or soothed a broken heart to a Strait tune wishes he or she could see in person. But the stadium with a capacity of more than 100,000 has been sold out practically ever since tickets went on sale. They were averaging about $350 on StubHub this week, The Dallas Morning News said. (At least somebody's gotta be filming this thing tomorrow, right?)
But still. Maybe there's a way you can still blow off work today, find a truck and fire it up, leave Houston in the dust, and make your way to the biggest concert country music has ever seen. We thought of five. Run.
5. PAY THROUGH THE NOSE Late Thursday night on the DFW Craigslist tickets-exchange board, Strait seats were going for $1,400 (or about $50 per song), $500, $900, $750 and so forth. Cheapest we saw was standing room only for $160, which may or may not have been in the AT&T Stadium parking lot -- because parking passes were going for as high as $200.
4. SELL MILLIONS OF RECORDS After openers Asleep at the Wheel (nice gig, Ray), Eric Church, Alan Jackson, Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, Kenny Chesney, Blake Shelton, Jason Aldean, Vince Gill, Miranda Lambert, Sheryl Crow and Martina McBride -- who have all been opening acts on the last leg of the tour -- are all scheduled to sing three songs. Wonder if that leaves King George to sing any on his own.
3. WORK FOR AT&T The Dallas-based telecommunications titan is usually hiring -- but you better act fast.
2. BE JERRY JONES After all, he owns the place, so he's probably got a pretty good seat. And as a salesman of no small repute, he might even make you a deal.
List continues on the next page.
1. DON'T STOP BELIEVIN' Even though Saturday is billed as the final show of Strait's final tour, many fans refuse to believe the credits will roll after Saturday night's final encore. ("Unwound," maybe? "The Fireman"?) The ever-cagey King George did nothing to discourage those hopes after last year's CMA Awards in November:
"I'm just slowing down a little bit," he told the media. "But I don't know. This gets me fired up again. Cowboy might be riding back in, I don't know."
ROCKS OFF'S GREATEST HITS
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Houston, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.