The Octanes Replace The Small Sounds At HPMA Showcase
Attention local musicians, music bloggers and music organizations: have something that should be included in Magnolia City Mixtape? Leave a comment below or email brittanie.shey (at) houstonpress (dot) com.
• Happy Friday! Please enjoy this video from Rocks Off sister blog Backbeat of pint-sized Reggaton artist Mini Daddy.
• Late-breaking HPMA showcase news: The Small Sounds have dropped out due to a family emergency and have been replaced by the Octanes. The Octanes will play at 5:30 p.m. at The Drake, while the Tontons move up and over to 4:35 p.m. at Manor on Washington. Rocks Off has updated our pocket guide to tomorrow's showcase as well.
• Girls Rock Camp starts next Monday. Don't forget to come out to the showcase next Sunday at Walter's to see the next Lita Ford, Lady Gaga or Heart in action.
TicketsSun., Jul. 31, 8:00pm
Clint Black - On Purpose Tour
TicketsThu., Aug. 4, 7:00pm
Guns N' Roses: Not In This Lifetime?
TicketsFri., Aug. 5, 8:30pm
Russ: Did It My Way Tour
TicketsSat., Aug. 6, 6:00pm
World Famous Gospel Brunch at House of Blues Houston
TicketsSun., Aug. 7, 1:30pm
• Fat Tony (right) blogs about his recent trip to California where he hung out some other musically-inclined friends at a party "that included Andy Dick getting fucked up and escorted out." Live it up, dude.
• The plight of the music licensing exec? No one wants to pay for music anymore. There was the colleague of Baker's who got a letter saying, "Eat you-know-what and die." When she replied to the client, she got another letter, asking, "What part of eat you-know-what and die don't you understand?"
• Disco Green's fall concert line-up is announced, according to 29-95 but we can't find any evidence of it on the Green's actual Web site. Nonetheless, some local favorites will be playing, like Los Skarnales and The Mathletes. You read that correctly, The Mathletes are back together.
• 29-95 also reports that the Literary Greats will be taking a bit of a break after they play our Houston Press Music Awards Showcase tomorrow.
• Houston Calling reports that Drop Trio will be playing their final show next Friday, the 13th. The band hasn;t played in forever, so you might want to catch this last swan song.Next Page
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.